1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express -exporting?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by amysue000, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

Needing to take just ONE of my folders (work emails) and copy those to a seperate folder on my pc. I have done this in the past successuflly, as I have a 'old work emails' folder in My Documents. But I've no idea how I did that--was long time ago. Now outlook work folder is heaped with old work emails and needing to put them into that 'old work emails folder' in "My Documents". Any help sites online I've found only give instructions on how to 'backup' my enitire outlook express. I don't need all of the folders backed up.. just want to transfer my current folders contents. I'm stumped and have the :eek: eyes from trying to figure this out--AGAIN.
    Anyone have a cure for 'fix it amnesia'?

2. sekirt

sekirt

What, exactly is the file extension(s) that is in your old email folder?

.MHT
    .EML
    .DBX

sekirt

3. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

Ok, the old 'type' show up as 'Internet E-mail Message'. (that is what is in the 'type' column)
    Since I posted my original questing .. I really messed up. I must have started exporting all my outlook express over to 'old work folder'.. but didn't think so because I didn't see anything--all of a sudden my old email folder poppedup with all this junk(extra folders from outlook)because now I have ALL my emails in there.. showing up under 'type' column as DBX. (folders)
    Crud. Last I remember, I clicked -outlook express-options-maintenance-store folder (and changed that to 'my documents-old work emails folder') location. Sigh.. now I suppose all of my emails (work related or not) will automatically flip to this 'old work folder'?

Ok, I'm gonna take a 'chill pill' and calm down a bit--appreciate your help.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  5. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

tried to decipher both links you sent.
    1) it doesn't help me view the DBX files in 'old work emails' folder.
    2) I sent myself an email to Outlook Express from my hotmail.. and Outlook Express DID receive it. Although it's running xtremely slow now.

Any Idea what the default is usually in that 'stored' section of Outlook Exp. so I can get it back to what it was before I messed this up? Would like to try and fix that before I continue trying to figure how to export just ONE folder's contents..from my Outlook.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  7. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

Did Window's restore.. back before change to OE. Now OE displays original basics--like it was reset to basics. odd. BUT NOW I CAN SEE WHAT THE DEFAULT FOR STORE FOLDER IS: C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Custom\Application Data\Identities\{483DAFAC-90F0-49F6-96D9-337DDF5A3E93}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
    I've lost all my extra folders (work-personal-pics-family). Gone from OE display. I can still see them listed in that 'old work emails' folder in 'my documents'.. but can't view them with the DBX help either.
    When looking in my OE 'message rules' .. I see red x's over rules that pertained to old folders (work, etc) that were once there.
    I'll just go back through and create new folders .. and new message rules.

Looking closer at the DBX type they are opening in 'notebook' so it's not making sense to even try to view those as a whole or individually.

Is Bill Gates the antichrist?
    Thanks for your time and suggestions. I'll just plead ignorance for reason old work email is stuck in DBX hell.

8. sekirt

sekirt

amysue

1) Here is how to get your work emails into my documents.
    Open up Windows Explorer (WE) to your old work folder. Open Outlook Express (OE) - in a normal window, right on top of WE so you can see the folder.

Highlight all the messages you want to put in the old work folder. Left click and drag them into your old work folder.

2) Did you get your .DBX files back to the default location? If not, do so.
    We should be able to get things back to somewhat normal. System Restore wasn't the right move. Somethings, like message rules are not there because of the date you restored to. You hadn't written them yet.

Close OE. Open WE. Navigate to the folder where the .DBX files are. You should see one called Folders.dbx. Rename that to Folders.old. Restart OE. Your old folders in OE should be there, along with emails, etc. If you created sub-folders, you will have to move them back into the folder where you had them. To do that, left click on the sub-folder in the left panel. Drag it up to the folder you want it in.

sekirt

9. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

1)thank you! NOW I see how to save the old emails to documents. And of course once I followed your instructions..I remember THAT is how I did it last year. (y)
    2)
    HTML:
    Did you get your .DBX files back to the default location?
    NO.
    HTML:
    Close OE. Open WE. Navigate to the folder where the .DBX files are. You should see one called Folders.dbx. Rename that to Folders.old. Restart OE. Your old folders in OE should be there, along with emails, etc. 
    I must not be in the right place, because it didn't put them back to OE. ( the only place I find the .dbx files/folders is in my original 'old work emails' folder in 'My Documents') I did rename the 'Folders. DBX' to 'Folders.old' .. and that's as far as I get. I'm doing this wrong..aren't I.

:confused:

10. sekirt

sekirt

The part you didn't do...is to return all the .DBX files to the original location.

Remember how you moved them? You move them back the same way.
    OE->Tools->Options->Maintenance Tab. Click Store Folder Button. Then use Change to put them back here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Custom\Application Data\Identities\{483DAFAC-90F0-49F6-96D9-337DDF5A3E93}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Then once they are back where they belong...
    1) Close OE.
    2)Open Windows Explorer and change folder.dbx (do it again, ignore the fact you did it once) to folder.old. etc;

But, I better ask you, since there was a time lag since my other post and now, do you have new emails that you want to keep? If you do...make a new folder, a folder with a name you never used before. Such as Vault or something unusual. Move all the new emails into that folder BEFORE changing the name of folder.dbx.

sekirt

11. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

You move them back the same way.
    OE->Tools->Options->Maintenance Tab. Click Store Folder Button. Then use Change to put them back here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP Authorized Custom\Application Data\Identities\{483DAFAC-90F0-49F6-96D9-337DDF5A3E93}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

It was already back to that, happened when I did System Restore . :eek: That is how I found out what the default was originally for my 'store folder'. Since it it's been back at that for days now, I don't know how to get the DBX ones to 'read' or transfer to OE.
    Just for the sake of retrying, I clicked 'change' , it asks where I want them to go.. it drops down 'user folders' and the likes.. but doesn't list OE (because it is currently set to go to OE).

Good tip with moving current emails to separate folder (in case)!

12. sekirt

sekirt

So then, all the .DBX files are gone from "My Documents?"

Open up Windows Explorer, navigate to the DBX files in the original Documents and Settings, etc;

Then open up OE. Check the folder names in OE against the DBX files. Are all the DBX files there? Here is an example of what I mean:
    In OE is a folder called Inbox. Where the DBX files are, there will be a file by the name of Inbox.dbx. Sent Items folder = Sent Items.dbx. etc. Do all your folders show up with an equivalent dbx file?

sekirt

13. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

No, the .DBX files are not gone from 'My Documents', I just can't get them back to OE. Still trying.
    In OE is a folder called Inbox. Where the DBX files are, there will be a file by the name of Inbox.dbx. Sent Items folder = Sent Items.dbx. etc. Do all your folders show up with an equivalent dbx file? I can't find this. Will need to put this problem on hold, my Norton's isn't working now so need to fix that first. Everyday now it's been something odd happening--think my computer needs an enema. Will get back to the OE issues hopefully next week. thanks!

14. amysue000

amysue000 Thread Starter

No, the .DBX files are not gone from 'My Documents', I just can't get them back to OE. Still trying.
    In OE is a folder called Inbox. Where the DBX files are, there will be a file by the name of Inbox.dbx. Sent Items folder = Sent Items.dbx. etc. Do all your folders show up with an equivalent dbx file? I can't find this. Will need to put this problem on hold, my Norton's isn't working now so need to fix that first. Everyday now it's been something odd happening--think my computer needs an enema. Will get back to the OE issues hopefully next week. thanks!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/420650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice