1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express freezes when I click on an email

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kbkids, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbkids

kbkids Thread Starter

Outlook Express was downloading an email when our power blinked. After powering the computer back up, the email is there, but if you click on it the program will freeze up. It's from a source that I'm not concerned about it being a virus. Other emails have come in since then, and the program works like normal, but if I click on this particular email to just simply delete it, the program will freeze everytime. Can't open it, can't delete it - can't do anything with it. I just simply want it to go away now. Any clue?

P.S. I've tried rebooting in safe mode and it does the same thing.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you tried going to the email server and see if you can delete it there?

What email domain is your email account on?

3. kbkids

kbkids Thread Starter

Okay, the problem is bigger than I originally thought. Actually, it's my Deleted Items folder that's the problem I believe. I realized that I wasn't able to delete ANYTHING. Every other email I can read, forward, open, move to another folder - except DELETE. When I click on the Deleted Items folder, it says Folder Cannot Be Displayed. Now - that one orginal email is still showing unread, and the program will still freeze up if I click on that one. I can't do anything with it.

BTW, my email is bellsouth.net (acquired by ATT) And no, if I go on my webmail, all the incoming emails are gone once they are pulled into Outlook.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi kbkids and welcome to TSG.

It sounds like the Deleted Items.dbx is either full or corrupted.
    You'll need to go into the OE Message Store folder and delete it (a new one will be created when you next open OE).
    If there's anything in the Deleted Items folder you want to keep, be sure to move it to another folder before deleting the DBX.

To locate and open the Message Store folder:
    You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
    At the top of any folder(My Documents for example) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
    Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

In OE
    Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
    On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
    Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
    Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.

Click on Start>Run.
    Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
    The Store Folder containing all the DBX files should open.

Find and delete the Deleted Items.dbx then open OE and see if you can now delete messages.

If you still have a problem deleting the bad message in the Inbox, move everything else to another folder and delete the Inbox.dbx in the Message Store folder. Just be sure there's nothing in the Inbox you want before doing that.

5. kbkids

kbkids Thread Starter

Okay -- that solved part of the problem. I did all the steps you described above (THANK YOU!!!), but when I tried to delete the Deleted Items folder, it says that it can't be deleted because the file is either corrupted or unreadable. Now, I tried the same thing on the Inbox file -- and that solved the problem with that particular email. It deleted my inbox folder, and when I went back to OE, a new one was there and is receiving mail fine. But again, if I try to delete any of that new mail, same thing -- delete is not an option. ???? Thanks so much for your help!!

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Be sure to have OE closed.
    See if you can either rename the Deleted Items.dbx (it can be any name, Bob would work. The idea being that OE won't be able to locate it and will generate a new file) or move Deleted Items.dbx out of the Message Store folder.
    Note: If you try just moving it, create a new folder to put it in (it could be on your desktop, right click an empty spot>New>Folder). It's often easier to delete a folder with a corrupt file inside than just the file.

7. kbkids

kbkids Thread Starter

Wow, this thing is being difficult!! Can't rename and can't move it out. UGH!! Same message - because of corrupted or unreadable file.

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Try deleting it in Safe Mode.
    Restart your computer and before Windows starts to load tap the F8 key.
    Use the up/down arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit Enter.
    Navigate to the Message Store folder and try to either delete the Deleted Items.dbx or rename or move it.

Since you may be going in and out of the Message Store folder trying to fix this, you might want to make a shortcut to it.
    In the Store folder, click the "up" button on the toolbar (it's a small folder with a green up pointing arrow). That should display a folder named Outlook Express. Right click the folder and select Send To>Desktop (create shortcut).
    Test the new shortcut to make sure it opens the Message Store folder.

9. kbkids

kbkids Thread Starter

Well, the problem kinda corrected itself! :)) We had another power outage -- lots of storms around here lately. When I powered the computer back up, it said disks needed to be checked for inconsistencies. Let it run all of that -- TOOK FOREVER!!! -- but when it finished, the deleted items folder was working fine and everything was back to normal. ??????????? Thanks for all your help though!

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

The Deleted Items.dbx was corrupted and not working but still recognized and being loaded by OE.
    At a guess, the power outage and disc check finished it off so it is no longer recognized and OE has simply created a replacement (you may see Deleted Items(1).dbx now).
    With a bit of luck, the disc check may have gotten rid of it.

If the original is still there, the only benefit to getting rid of it would be to free up the disc space it's using. It shouldn't have any effect in the future on the operation of OE (it's now just an orphan file if it still exists), so it's up to you if you want to try deleting it.

One thing you can do that may help prevent the problem from happening again is to not let a large number of messages accumulate in the Deleted folder and Compact the Deleted Items folder after you empty it.
    Select it and click File>Folder>Compact.
    That will clean it up and reduce the file size which will lessen the chance of it corrupting.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice