1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Groups to Outlook Distribution LIst

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dukster, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dukster

dukster Thread Starter

I have searched and found a slight answer to this question (which seems to be "no way"), and have searched many other forums for information, however . . . thought I'd post it here too to see if there is any new info on this problem.

In Outlook Express, I can view .any single contact's membership in various groups/distribution lists on the "other" tab . However, in OE I cannot sort or view this information in very meaningful ways, nor view those various memberships in any of the main contact pane views.

In Outlook 2000, by sharing the OE address book, I can view and sort much contact information in more meaningful ways, but there seems to be NO way to see how many distribution lists/groups a single contact belongs to.

SURELY SURELY SURELY there must be a code or patch to create a field to show this info in Outlook 2000! If anyone has a hint -- even a book to refer me to that I would wade through (and I would), please repond.

Thanks for the help
    dukster

2. Autoeng

Autoeng

Property of the contact then Member Of.

Autoeng

3. dukster

dukster Thread Starter

Thanks Autoeng -- Here's my Stupid question -- is this in the simple programming of a view, or in VBScripting? Thanks
    Carol

4. Autoeng

Autoeng

re-reading you original post I'm sort of confused. You say in Outlook Express you can't do what you want but then you pose the question related to Outlook 2K. All I did was in O2K was to go to the address book, select a name and then selected Member Of. If you want to break down the Outlook address book you could use Access and by selecting File, Get External Data, Link Tables you can select Files Of Type = Outlook() and then point to your Outlook Address Book location. Then you have the power of Access to crunch the Address Book.

If that still isn't what your looking for I suggest checking out www.helenfeddema.com

Helen is probably the topmost authority in Outlook.

Autoeng

5. dukster

dukster Thread Starter

I am sharing OE address book with O2K -- When I pull up the address book from the tools menu, select an entry, and choose properties, I get the card view and can find "Group Membership" on the "Other" tab -- but no "Member Of".

What I want to do: Find a way to show that information in a table field (rather than card by card) so I can look at numbers of contacts and their groups (rather than one by one), and sort by that information as well.

I'm wondering -- do you share the address book from OE or are you using O2K with its own address book? Maybe that accounts for the different wording ("Group Membership" vs. "Member Of").

The Access solution may help and I will give it a whirl. Russ Valentine at MSN newsgroups suggested I should ditch Groups and DLs altogether and achieve the same thing using categories, but this will be a re-entry task of tedious proportion, so I'm still hunting for a way to access what's already in there -- Access may be the way to go.

Do let me know if you are not sharing the address book -- that may be a clue in the right direction as well.

Thanks for your responses, and the link to Helen. I will check there, too.
    Carol

6. Autoeng

Autoeng

I was thinking it was a problem with O2K and didn't understand the linkage scenerio with OE. Unless Helen has a way I would suggest the Access route as it is very simple to do and would allow you to manipulate the information in virtually endless ways.

Autoeng

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice