1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook express "Hanging" problem -- won't open completely

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mamagirl, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mamagirl

Mamagirl Thread Starter

Last night a popup message from McAfee told me that Dell Security center was trying to access the internet. I was in the midst of downloading and reading email, and being a dummy, I gave one-time permission.

Soon afterward, I began to suspect a virus, as I received a virus notification popup and an email from my ISP re: a deleted virus. As I was deleting items from my inbox, Outlook Express froze. I tried restarting, and OE hangs on the inbox and hogs 96%+ system resources.

This morning, my ISP program showed an error and my Antivirus was corrupted. I did a system restore and redownloaded the antivirus, which solved my problem with getting on the 'net. I've scanned and come up with nothing and downloaded a special scan and remove tool (Stinger) from McAfee for the virus it warned me about yesterday....Sober, I think. But still, OE hangs up on the Inbox and I can't read or remove or access the toolbar. It says "no email selected."

Any ideas?

2. Augie65

Augie65

You might run a system file checker to fix any corrupted files. To run System File Checker:

Click on Start then Run. In the Run box, type: sfc /scannow and then OK.
    Note: space between c and /
    You may be asked for your Windows CD, if asked insert it

3. Mamagirl

Mamagirl Thread Starter

scannow didn't find any problems. Just opened OE again, same problem. Pulls up the Inbox, says "There is no message selected" and claims to be receiving mail, but it isn't. It's (msimn.exe) currently using 92-98% of system resources. I have an hourglass, but can't select anything within the screen.

When I try to exit the program, I get a "program is not responding" error message.

I'm wondering if there's a virus in a message that it was in the middle of downloading when the trouble surfaced. Is there any way I can manually delete some of the contents of the Inbox without opening the program? The email in question has a blue arrow pointing down in the ! column of the list of emails in the Inbox.

4. Augie65

Augie65

5. Mamagirl

Mamagirl Thread Starter

Thanks!! I followed your link and went through the steps (as best I could -- couldn't find Windows Explorer in XP, but I did a search for *.dbx files in hidden files and came up with all I needed). After I removed the folders from OE, placing them in a new folder of their own on my desktop, OE started right up, so I knew the problem was in one of those folders.

As I attempted to import the folders back to OE, the Inbox hung up after a partial import. I cancelled the remaining import, went back to the new folder, and deleted inbox.dbx. (I lost a few emails, but not many.) Then I returned to OE and imported the remaining files without error.

Thanks so much!! I'll be donating! You guys are so much better than spending 60 minutes on hold for tech support and then ending up doing something to your system you DIDN'T want and CAN'T take back!!

6. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome. (y) Glad we could be of help. If you get a chance, you can mark this solved from the Thread Tools dropdown and Mark Thread Solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!