1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express hangs

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dstrand, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Got a 800 mhz Duron with 128MB ram, and Win ME. Have had it for about 10 mos. Suddenly, Outlook Express has started to hang when opening. No problem whatsoever with Internet Explorer. Downloaded the latest windows updates, including the service pack, defragged, cleaned out unneccessary files with disk cleanup, and did an online virus scan. (No viruses, plus I run the AVG with the latest protection) It worked for a day, and then started to hang during opening again, and will not open. What else to try?

2. dtugg

dtugg

You might wanna try a repair of internet explorer. To do this: Go into add/remove programs and select "IE 6 and internet tools" and then click add/remove down below. From there you need to select repair and let it do the rest.

I think you have to reboot to make the changes take effect.

dtugg

3. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Did that, and then tried to restore internet explorer to its previous configuration. Now the system boots up, but there are no icons, and cannot do anything. Additionally, I tried to repair my registry, and the computer boots up to:

Press control-alt-delete to start your new computer

I have heard of win me doing this, but how do you fix this?
    Going back to a previous version of the registry does not work either. Can boot up to safe mode if I press f8 during start up.
    No entries in autoexec.bat, sys.ini, win.ini, or config.sys look suspicious, and selecting any system startup mode thru msconfig does not work either.

4. Del

Del

5. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Hi there, it worked for a while and now it is back at it. I upgraded to xp, put on the latest service pack( which includes ie service pack) and now I can get in my inbox, but not my sent messages. Any ideas on what is going on>? thanx!

6. Del

Del

Sounds like the sent item folder could be corrupt.
    If you don't need anything you sent out, you can try renaming it or deleting it and when you open OE again it will make a new sent item folder that is not damaged and may fix the problem.
    Go to start search and look for sent items.dbx

7. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Thanks so much Del, that seems to have done the trick!

8. Del

Del

Hey, you're welcome, glad we could help you.
    Have a great one.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice