1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express "hangs"

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by OLD TCI GUY, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OLD TCI GUY

OLD TCI GUY Thread Starter

A friend is using OE with XP (Home) - SP3 installed. Also uses AVG.

She normally leaves her computer on continuously, but does periodically reboot it.

Recently, after being on for much of the day where she has used OE a time or two, OE will hang. Clicking on the shortcut or going to the program file and trying to open the application results in not activity. Checking the Task Manager shows that OE is not a running application.

Once in a while, a window appears saying, "An Unknown Error has occured".

The only way to resolve the problem so far is to reboot the computer, which is a bit aggrevating.

Any suggestions?

:confused:

2. NICK G

NICK G Banned

When did it last work properly? Before Sp3 install or AVG?
    What was added or changed since it last worked?:confused:
    If it has very recently started this, a system restore to a previous good setting may help.:)
    SR has been a great value to me...always.(y)

3. OLD TCI GUY

OLD TCI GUY Thread Starter

It was doing it before I did the SP3 install. AVG has been installed for over a year.

I did a restore and it seems to have no effect on the problem.

The problem is intermittent, but seems to be occuring more frequently in the last week or so.

From what I can see, there are no other programs running that may be causing a memory conflict; but I am not sure of that.

OE just "plays dead" or the "Unknown error has occured" message appears.

Old TCI Guy

4. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Intermittent is the toughest. If it would do it frequently or on command then one could
    disable programs until maybe finding one that hangs it.
    I would remove the OE user account, reboot and set up a new user account using
    same name, of course. Get the server settings from OE/tools/accounts/properties/server.
    Worth a shot. Good luck.:)

5. trooperman0

trooperman0

Mine did the same I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast and had no trouble since.(y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice