1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express help restoring old email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by chocolatechimp, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chocolatechimp

chocolatechimp Thread Starter

Hello. so here is my story -

We used outlook express on our computer until it crashed last month. We got a new computer and installed a fresh copy of outlook express.

Now boss wants me to pull up an old email from last year. the new installation of outlook express does not have any of the old emails. We never did any backups of outlook express on the old computer, not even sure if you are supposed to.
    Someone also suggested that we could have imported the old emails at the time of installation, but i dont know if thats true or not.

On the old computer, whenever we opened outlook express, all of our old emails were there. They must be stored somewhere. I have no idea how to get access to these old emails. We have the old hard drive installed as a secondary drive, so i can search it. but i cant figure out where or how all the old emails are stored. checked the outlook express folder, my documents. also tried a google search for outlook express restore programs, but nothing seemed suitable.

If anyone can help me get back these old emails from a previous copy of outlook express, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you :)

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

3. chocolatechimp

great, thank you

i read over the link you provided.

the only problem is that there are no .dbx files in the outlook express folder. i only see .dll files in outlook express.
    i also did a search of the entire hard drive for *.dbx, and nothing turned up.

could the emails be stored another way? or another file?

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

You will have to enable hidden files in folder options then open OE.
    Click Tools -> Options -> Maintenance Tab. Click Store Folder
    button to get the path to the .DBX files.

It isn't likely the .dbx files would be gone because that is the very
    heart of OE. If there are missing .dbx files OE will automatically
    create them.

5. chocolatechimp

well its very strange then, because i have "show hidden files" selected.

but there are no .dbx files.
    i dont even see any .dbx files in the new installation of outlook express on the new computer.

maybe im looking in the wrong place? C:/programfiles/outlookexpress

6. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Yes, totally the wrong place. Re-read my post as to how to locate them.

7. chocolatechimp

ok thank you, i did read that folder location in linked post you provided

but i assumed there was nothing in that location, because when i did a windows search of the entire hard drive, using the string *.dbx, nothing was found.

did i use the search feature wrong? or is it unreliable?
    because i did find the files when i manually went into the folder, but search didnt find them

8. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Can't really answer your question(s) because I use Vista. And I don't use the Windows Vista search, I use a third-party search program.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice