1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express inbox filled and disabled

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gooddocl, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooddocl

gooddocl Thread Starter

My wife received some pictures via email. The email seemed to replicate. She has about 5 e mails now with many 100+copies each. I cannot delete them, move them. Her e mail is useless and I cannot get rid of them.
    When I use my identity in the same OE program it works fine. The hard drive is near capacity, primarily due to these memory intense e-mails. Any suggestions.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi gooddocl

Are the e-mails replicating during the Send/Receive process, or while viewing the messages?
    If they are replicating during the Send/Receive process, have you logged into the mail server to see if the message is still on the server?

Are there any e-mails in the Inbox that she would like to keep?
    If so, move those messages to a folder of your own creation in Outlook Express.

Locate the directory where Outlook Express keeps it's message store:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder
    Note the location, then Cancel out of the window.
    Close Outlook Express.

These steps are for Windows XP, if you are using a different operating system, let us know.

For Windows XP:
    • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
      Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
      under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
      Remove the check mark for:
      Hide Extensions for known file types
      Apply, OK to save and close.

Using Windows Explorer navigate to the directory where Outlook Express keeps it message store for your wife's Identity.
    Locate the Inbox.dbx file and rename it Inbox.old

Restart Outlook Express, a new Inbox.dbx file will be created.

Let us know if that helps or not.

3. gooddocl

gooddocl Thread Starter

That did get rid of all the old email. However, she is still not able to receive new email. I have sent her a few notes. Also, once it is working, can I just delete the inbox.old file.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Yes, assuming the Inbox.old file was empty when you renamed it, it can be deleted.

Is she receiving any error messages when she clicks Send/Receive?
    If so, please post the exact error message.

5. gooddocl

gooddocl Thread Starter

I sent her a test. It made it to her comcast box online but it did not download into outlook express. She states that she did not change any settings. There is no error message. When I press the the send/receive button it checks lightning fast and downloads nothing.

I imagine one solution would be to delete the entire identity and set up a new one.

Also, the inbox.old file is not empty. It is overloaded. The reason we changed the name is that I could not delete the e-mail in it from within the OE program.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

How many accounts are setup in Outlook Express?
    Tools > Accounts > Mail tab
    Check the Properties for each Account.
    In Properties > General tab, there should be a check mark for: Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing.

After clicking Send/Receive, view the results by double left clicking the status bar in Outlook Express:

[​IMG]

Concerning the Inbox.old file, were you not able to Move messages out of the folder first as I suggested?

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice