1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook express - incoming mail but not outgoing!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by glandmaster, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glandmaster

glandmaster Thread Starter

Hi

I have re installed a pals xp home machine and after restoring all her old emails and addys etc I have set up her BT Internet account. When I clicked send and recieve I get new mails coming in but the outgoing ones fail details:

Which is odd as there are no yahoo users on this machine?

Any help greatly appriciated!

2. pclindstrom

pclindstrom

Make sure you are using authentication when connecting to the SMTP server. Go to Tools, then E-Mail Accounts. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts and click Next.

Select the BT E-Mail account and click Change. Then click More Settings...

Inside the More Settings box click on the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box next to "My outgoing server requires authentication."

BTW, the Yahoo! link in the error message is a valid one since BT Internet has merged with Yahoo! to form BT Yahoo! Internet.

If you follow the link in the error message, it can give you more help.

Hope this helps!

3. trickyt

trickyt

I supect the problem may be that your friend uses btinternet as her service provider whereas you use another provider, such as AOL or Demon. When you connect her pc to the internet from her house using btinternet as the ISP it should work.

I see you are trying to use mail.btopenworld.com whereas she is at btinternet.com - which seems to be a different ISP. You should use the same server for incoming as outgoing.
    Incoming: mail.btinternet.com (or POP.btinternet.com)
    Outgoing: mail.btinternet.com

To be able to send mails from any connection (usually required with laptops that change place and connect by LAN or WIFI), you need to do the following:

Click Tools, Accounts, {select e-mail account}, properties, servers, and change the user name from "helen.gore" to "[email protected]"

then check the box: "my outgoing server requires authentication", click settings and then check "use same settings as my incoming server."

4. pclindstrom

pclindstrom

Sometimes ISPs may have different POP and SMTP server addresses than the e-mail's address. For example Brinkster, the company I use for my e-mail, has their POP server name as getmail.brinkster.net while my actual e-mail address is at pltimes.com

It is possible that the server names are incorrect, especially after the merger with Yahoo!

Besides, if you go to btinternet.com it just forwards to btopenworld.com

5. Moby

Moby

I would remove your friends e-mail address and server settings from your post/public view too :)

6. glandmaster

glandmaster Thread Starter

Solved!! Many thanks once again. All it took was clicking "my outgoing server requires authentication" and adding @btinternet.com to the username fyi :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/250268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice