1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Invalid Date/Time

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by win80se, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. win80se

win80se Thread Starter

I have a problem with Outlook Express. When I delete emails I no longer want to keep (from Inbox, Outbox, Sent and any of my other Local Folders) and then run Scandisk it will frequently show an error (and sometimes more than one error). A typical error message looks like -

Window Heading - 'Scandisk Found an Error on Model 93 (C:)

The 'C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express'
    folder contains incorrect information about 'Sent Items.dbx'

This file or folder's last modified date or time is invalid or is in the future.
    This may be because your computer's clock is set incorrectly.
    ScanDisk repairs future dates by changing them to your computer's
    current date setting. ScanDisk repairs out-of-range dates or time by
    changing them to the nearest setting within the valid range.

Then there is a choice of three repair options - I always choose to
    'Repair the error'

The folder in the error message varies quite a bit as does the '.DBX' file. An other frequent error folder is
    'C:\RECYCLED\NPROTECT and this is followed by a DBX file with 8 numeric digits followed by .dbx (eg 00004188.DBX

I should make it clear my system clock is at the correct time, I rarely change the time and, certainly, I don't change the time when I'm using any program (including Outlook Express).

Anybody got an idea as to the cause of these errors? Thanks.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

do you run scandisk everytime you delete files in oe?
    if yes, why?

scandisk is checking the hard drive not stuff you delete.

is oe open when you run scandisk? suggest closing everything and turning power management/screensavers/av off.

3. win80se

win80se Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I know that I do not have any ScanDisk errors before I delete emails in OE, and I know that after deleting emails in OE I have errors when I run ScanDisk. On examination of the folders/files that contain the errors they are always OE folders/files.

So, I've concluded that it is the delete action in OE that is causing these errors. I do not run ScanDisc with OE or any other programs open.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

do you run scandisk everytime you delete files in oe?
    if yes, why?
    some folks think that scandisk/fix errors is tuff on the hard drive if you do it too much.

i've never seen the kind of errors you speak of in scandisk.

i make a selection in outlook/oe to empty the deleted files when i close the program.:cool:

5. win80se

win80se Thread Starter

I run ScanDisk every time I delete emails in OE because I know that by deleting files I leave errors which ScanDisk will find and I can then correct the errors. However, I do not delete emails every time I use OE so that I minimise the number of times I run ScanDisk.

I also have set OE to empty my deleted folder every time I close OE but by doing so this leaves errors which are found by OE.

Any other ideas ?

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

not really.

if you're deleting the files what does it really matter if the time stamp is off, the files are deleted and don't show up in the recycle bin.

i delete messages/files/programs/etc. and have never seen the kind of errors you see about oe or any other program in scandisk.

imho, i don't know why you worry about problems with oe stuff that's been deleted and not sure of what problems your saving yourself from by running scandisk. :cool:

7. sekirt

sekirt

When posting, always state your OS and version numbers along with names of programs involved in your problem. The correct answers can depend on this vital information.

How long has this been a problem? Anything special that you can remember, like installed or uninstalled a program at the time?

sekirt

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/292425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice