1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express/Microsoft Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jackal969k, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackal969k

jackal969k Thread Starter

Hi all! I have OE 6.0 and recently wanted to have the ability to do more applications. I loaded MS Outlook 2000. My question is can I delete or uninstall OE and just use MS Outlook or will I screw things up if do that? If it can be done, how do I go about it?

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

Unfortunately, you need OE installed on you're PC to run Outlook. If you want, you can delete the shortcuts to it, but it's best to leave the application itself undisturbed.

3. jackal969k

Thank you much for the info Corrosive! :)

4. buddydeano

buddydeano

Hi friend, when you go to use MS Outlook the first time , it will ask you if you want to make it your default , say yes, then setup your settings, very easy , you will love the added features.
    Hope this helps

5. kramnnim

kramnnim

..really? I didn't know that...why would Outlook need OE to run?

6. Corrosive

Corrosive

I'm not entirely sure either. My best guess is that instead of Outlook installing it's own, new set of files, it simply borrows OE's in order to save a bit of disk space. I read about it in another thread but I didn't actually get the reason, so that's my best guess. Anyone want to correct me? :confused: ;)

7. jackal969k

Well, I changed MS Outlook to my default and it can't connect to my POP server. Keep getting error-password/username invalid. I will have to fool with this for awhile and try to figure it out.:confused:

8. jackal969k

:( Still no luck!

9. buddydeano

buddydeano

Hi friend, I would suggest that you check with your internet supplier as to your password and ID. Once these are set, everything should be easy to connect.

10. jackal969k

My username and password are ok. I can get into server using OE but not with MS Outlook when I change it to my default.

11. buddydeano

buddydeano

Hi again, only a suggestion... go to tools in MS outlook, click on email accounts, look at your settings from here, might find something astray.

Here to help

12. Corrosive

Corrosive

I'm not sure if it will help your problem, but when I set up my email account in Opera, I had problems sending mail. No problem recieving, but I couldn't log in to send. I later found that, if your username and password are the same for both your POP and SMTP servers, the latter doesn't need the username and pass. Might be worth a try, but I can't be certain.

13. RandyG

RandyG

You are correct in that it shares files.

OL2000: Why Outlook 2000 Requires Outlook Express

14. jackal969k

Thank you all for your help. The on way I can get it to work is to export files from OE to MS Outlook. That way, when I open Ms Outlook, I get all my messages the same way I would if I opened OE instead. Problem solved I guess. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice