1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express (missing emails)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by brandon79, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brandon79

brandon79 Thread Starter

Howdy all,

Please help.

Today I discovered to my horror that my emails in my sent items folder in outlook express have vanished. I usually have around 200 – 250 emails sitting in there, but when I checked them out the afternoon they had dropped down to only four! (This is my hotmail A/c) on outlook express

I have tried .dbx file extractor software but that didn’t work. Also to note my .dbx file for my sent items is only at 445kb in size, not what I would expect for the cache on that folder. So I am absolutely stumped as to where these files have went (?) I am feeling sick to my stomach as I had a lot of important (sentimental) mails in there. If anybody could give me his or her thoughts on anything else I could try, please do.

Best for now,
    Brandon

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi brandon79

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Have you checked the Sent Items folder on Hotmail's website?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also check the Recycle Bin, when OE compacts your email folders it makes a copy which goes into the recycle bin and during compacting is when files or folders tend to disappear.

4. brandon79

brandon79 Thread Starter

Hello all - Yes I have had a looky in the recycle bin ( must have emptied it ) I have also had a look on the hotmail page fr the sent items and only 4 mails sitting in there.

So, any other ideas..? I was thinking along the lines of using a deleted recovery tool..? I would like to know how those mails vanished. Outlook express has not compressed the mails in a while - so I am still wondering how they vanished, and if at all, there is anything I can do to get them back? the mind wanders... you guys think of anything worth trying.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you looked for the Sent.dbx folder did you do a search for it or look at all the files in the OE Identities folder? You don't have a renamed version of the Sent folder by chance?

6. brandon79

brandon79 Thread Starter

Yes, I had a look at the files in the OE Identities folder... A renamed version of the sent folder..?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you looked in the folder you wouldn't have missed it, it would of been like Sent(1).dbx or something. It looks like the file may have been overwritten.

8. brandon79

brandon79 Thread Starter

I have just done a search for all .dbx files,the hotmail A/c and other POP a/c. I haven't found any renamed file. So, yes, it looks like it must have been over written. I ran a file recovery tool last night and that found nothing. So I guess I shall have to put this down to a loss then.

Thanks for your help
    Regards,
    Brandon

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Unfortunately, Hotmail only mirrors what is on the Hotmail server. It doesn't actually save your messages on your hard drive. To do that, create new folders as subfolders of the Local folders in Outlook Express (not new folders for the Hotmail account in Outlook Express) and save a copy of the messages you want to save in the newly created folders.

The new folders will contain a hard copy of what you save and be insulated from whatever occurs in the Hotmail account.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice