1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express--No Incoming

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ckclarkson, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckclarkson

ckclarkson Thread Starter

All was great on my old laptop until the HD crashed. My new staff guy was able to get it back, install a new HD, back up and restore the contents of the old drive, and re-install software applications. But now I can't pick up any email. I just need to know where to look to find conflicts. Or, if it is unreasonable to expect Windows to tell me this, to know if there is a repair utility somewhere I can download that can analyze, find, and fix conflicts. I know just enough about this cursed machine to sound vaguely knowledgeable, but not enough to actually do anything (know-what, but no know-how). Thank you for any assistance.

Problem: Outlook Express is not able to download POP3 email from any incoming mail servers (the request is not getting out of my laptop). Outgoing mail is not a problem, and IE has a good internet connection.

Facts: 1) All server settings, addresses, and passwords in the OE Account Properties boxes are correct; 2) the error message reads "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'WH/clay', Server: 'mail.wholeheart.org', Protocol: POP3, Port: 38445, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"; 3) I was told there is a conflict with, I think he said, port 110.

Tried: 1) Turned off firewalls and popup blockers--no change; 2) downloaded and ran all updates and rebooted (more than once)--no change; 3) scowled, rebuked, threatened, and cursed my computer--no change.

2. kalisun

kalisun

The default port for POP3 is 110..Is there a conflict on your system or the mail server with port 110??

it looks like your is set to 38445...check to make sure

'mail.wholeheart.org'

is set to accept connections on this port (38445)

3. ckclarkson

Thanks for the reply. My problem is I don't know where to go to look at port 110 to see what might be there creating a conflict (that would be know-how that I no-have). Where do I "check to make sure mail.wholeheart.org is set to accept connections" on port 38445?

4. kalisun

kalisun

To see if wholeheart.org accepts connection to port 38445, you'll have to contact the company...usually they should have a ph or something that you should be able to use..

To change your port in OE to port 110 do this:

Open Outlook Express
    Click on "Tools" on top down menu
    click "Mail" tab
    Select your email account and click "properties"
    click on "Advance" tab
    you should see the "Incomming Mail (POP3)" settings change it to 110
    I'm not sure if your "outgoing mail server" requires authentication or not, find out from wholeheart.org..I'm guessing not..
    click "Apply"
    Click "Ok"
    Then click "Close"
    Now close and reopen OE and test outgoing email...

5. ckclarkson

The mail is IN! Thank you for providing the Know-how I lack. Now, if only someone could get MS to provide the Know-why in their software design so it would self-diagnose and offer a simple fix for this kind of thing. Too much to ask.

BTW, this is my first experience with TSG. I'm sold.

6. kalisun

kalisun

Glad I could help and Welcome to Tech Support Guy! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice