1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express not opening

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dave2319, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

At the moment my Outlook Express isn't opening :(
    I have Windows 98 SE.
    Clicking any shortcut to it just shows the introductory screen, saying Microsoft Outlook Express 5, but then it won't go any further.
    Ctrl, alt, del after 20 seconds or so just says Msimn [not responding] This is the same after several reboots.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Dave.

2. mobo

mobo

click on it in the add/remove programs list and select remove which should bring up the option to repair . Select that option and repair.

3. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

Selecting it and clicking remove brings up a box which says: "This will remove Outlook Express. Do you wish to continue? Yes/No"

I selected No, for the time being :p

Dave.

4. mobo

mobo

5. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

Well as a novice in this area I'm not so keen on playing with the registry keys, and might need some guidance with this if I need to do it - sorry :(

Going by the link you gave it seems most likely I have a problem with the Pstore files.
    My imagehlp.dll is there, but checking under Find Files/Folders for "pstore*.*" brings up only 3 - Pstores (doesn't seem to be called .exe), plus Pstorec.dll and Pstorerc.dll

The info on the page you gave me says:
    "7. Rename all instances found to *.old or *.aaa by right-clicking on the associated file and clicking Rename from the shortcut menu.
    a. Pstorec.dll
    b. Pstorerc.dll
    c. Pstores.exe
    d. Pstore.log
    e. Psbase.dll"

Does this suggest I'm missing a couple of them and need to go through with this anxiety-inducing edit? :p

Also, it says to reinstall Internet Explorer :eek:
    Either from web or cab files. Where can I find the download for that, and which version should I go for?

Also, prior to that, it says: "10. Remove the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Protected Storage.

Mine goes as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Protected Storage\Parameters\S2
    How much do I need to delete?

Sorry for the questions, and thanks for the help.

Dave.

6. mobo

mobo

The process i listed in my first post should be applied to internet explorer and do not worry about its removal step just continue on

7. mobo

mobo

An easier approach may be to simply try updating to Internet Explorer 6 from windows update.

8. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

Motherboard, you don't have MSN or Yahoo Messengers do you, and if so, would you want to chat on there for a moment?
    If so, I'm dave23191. If not, don't worry, and I'll post again in the morning, probably :)

Thanks,

Dave.

9. mobo

mobo

Use the chat here dave...

10. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

LOL - please let me know if you can tell I'm a novice :)
    I'm in there now.

Dave.

11. mobo

mobo

Sorry Dave looks like i didn't install Java on the last reformat so Lets talk here.

12. mobo

mobo

Did you try the add/remove procedure ?

13. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

No, I didn't select remove from the Add/Remove Programs, because there seemed to be no option to repair.

See my longest post, above, for the questions I still have at the moment.

Dave.

14. mobo

mobo

An upgrade will to version 6 will probably fix the entire issue.

15. dave2319

dave2319 Thread Starter

Is this an update to Internet Explorer 6, or Outlook Express 6?
    And didn't someone say OE 6 wasn't as good?
    Whichever one you meant - where can I download the new version? And also, importantly, will it keep hold of my data that's currently in OE 5, so it's still there when I upgrade?

Dave.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice