1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook express not receiving email (Vista)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by buckhysen, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buckhysen

buckhysen Thread Starter

Hi there,

Could anyone please help me with this email problem that is driving me mad?

I have exactly the same problem as this guy http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/571588-solved-outlook-express-not-receiving.html
    which was solved... I've followed the advice that worked for him but I cannot set up a new identity, there is no option to add a new identity.

My email was running fine up until Fri night/Sat morning but since then I am not receiving any emails, although emails are sending fine.

I did get two emails sent through yesterday (But delayed by hours) and just as I type this I have received another email which I should have got this morning.
    I have sent emails to myself from my account and other email addresses but none have been received.
    I am with Pipex and when I log onto their webmail there are no emails in there either (Usually I can check emails in here when I am away from my PC)

I've uninstalled my anti virus and checked all settings, they are all correct as far as I can see (They must be or I wouldn't have got the 3 emails I have got).

It's possible it could be an server problem with Pipex but for over 30 hours???? I'm not so sure, especially as I've never had problems before.

Incidently, both my email accounts are finding the host and connecting properly with NO errors.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you called Pipex and asked about any possible problems with one of their mail servers, what was their response?

3. buckhysen

buckhysen Thread Starter

I've emailed them but yet to hear back and have been ringing on and off all weekend but their lines are always busy, so have not spoken to anyone yet.

Since my post I have now had 3 emails come through from yesterday morning.
    So does anyone know if this is likely to be Pipex just being ridiculously slow? Or something on my PC slowing down or blocking emails getting through to OE?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi buckhysen

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

If you are sending messages addressed to yourself and they are not on the mail server, I would say the problem is on the ISP's end.

Also, if you are using Vista, it does not have Outlook Express.
    Windows Mail has replaced Outlook Express for Vista and yes, sadly, they removed the option for creating new identities in Windows Mail.

5. buckhysen

buckhysen Thread Starter

Ah that explains it.
    Yeah I still keep calling it OE, habits die hard.

I've still not heard a thing from Pipex but did finally get onto their NG yesterday after realising they had the wrong setting on their website. And it appears others have had the same problem so it's obviously a problem with Pipex.
    A bit miffed though that they've made no announcements to their customers or even acknowledged there's a problem, but from reading countless messages on the NG it seems their entire Broadband customer base was effected for most of the weekend.... My emails are still coming through at a delay of up to 8 hours.

Thanks for your replies guys :)

6. maltaserv

maltaserv

It seems to be a Windows Vista problem NOT your ISP but I'm still lost looking for an answer.

We host a mail server in America and the only clients who reported this email problem are running Windows Vista (never managing to download emails, email times out, stuck etc.. even if whole download is just a few K in size)

Furthermore they are both saying, just as reported by yourself, that
    it started last Fri 10th Oct 2008!

All other clients on same mailserver who are not running Vista are working fine. This includes myself (on Win 2000) and furthermore I also downloaded emails without problems from the very same mailbox that one of the clients simply cannot download emails from.

It has to do something with Vista and not the ISP but what?? Could the problem be interference from some new Vista update possibly released last Thu/Fri that is causing odd email behaviour .. BUT what????

Another situation backing my suspicions is that one client in particular has 3 computers on the network checking the same email account and connected through the same ISP from the same office. BUT only 2 computers are experiencing this problem and they are running WINDOWS VISTA. The other computer NOT running windows vista IS DOWNLOADING NORMALLY!

So what is it that needs fixing and how?! We need to know fast. HELP
    :eek:

7. buckhysen

buckhysen Thread Starter

Nah it's not Vista, several people on the Pipex NG have XP and have had no emails all weekend.
    Apparently Pipex was attacked on Friday night and it was quite a serious problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice