1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express not sending emails w/ attachents

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by umiwangu, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. umiwangu

umiwangu Thread Starter

Ok, the title is a bit misleading. Bear with me. Outlook Express 6, XP Home, Norton AV (not NIS) '08 w/ outgoing scanning on. Here's the problem. A couple weeks ago I was getting a message from Outlook Express that my messages were not being sent (sorry, don't have the exact error). They just stayed in the Outbox. However, people told me that they were receiving my messages! I tracked it down to my Sent Items.dbx being too large (over 2 GB?) so I deleted a bunch of messages and now it mostly works fine. But... currently, when I try to send emails with attachments, they do the same thing. Oex says there was an error sending them, but they are received by my intended recipients. And they stay in the Outbox. The annoying thing is that sometimes I forget to move them and they get sent multiple times. Here's another post by someone who has the same problem - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.co...-express-will-not-send-email-attachments.html Any ideas? Thanks guys!

2. Pollex

Pollex

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/files/store.htm

This is a post about the corruption tendencies for the .dbx folders. It basically says to quit OEx, and then to delete your Folder.dbx (after backing up your important stuff) and when you restart, it should auto-populate those folders again.

I looked around a little bit, and this was the closest thing that I could find to match/hopefully fix your situation.

Hope your situation is soon resolved. :)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. umiwangu

umiwangu Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at these links and let you know.

Cheers

5. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Make custom folders.
    DO NOT store large amounts of email in any of the 5 default folders.
    (Inbox/Outbox/Sent Items/Deleted Items/Draft).

Turn off Norton email scanning. Norton is particularly invasive and
    you might still have problems in the future.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
    http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

You may have to uninstall Norton. Any uninstall of Norton antivirus should
    be followed up by their debris removal tool:
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

When you re-install Norton, be sure to disable the email scanning option.
    Or you can install a less troublesome antivirus program such as the free Avast.

6. umiwangu

umiwangu Thread Starter

Thanks VistaRookie. That first link was a very good read. I usually turn email scanning off on all computers I use, but for some reason I left it on. I also usually detest Norton, but this lappy came with a year's subscription, so I figured I would keep it on. It will be running out soon and I don't plan on renewing, thank God.

Thanks again

7. DKTaber

DKTaber

I just downloaded and installed Avast yesterday. Today, I started having problems sending and receiving e-mail. I have Comcast cable broadband. Connecting, authorizing and checking for e-mail resulted in extremely long times (1 minute) or took even longer and resulting in 'time-out' error messages. I called Comcast, but they said there was no problem at their end (the server). I then began disabling things, starting with the firewall (made no difference) and antispyware program (made no difference) and Avast's "On-access protection". Bingo!; E-mail problem promptly went away.

The culprit is, I assume from its name, ashMaiSv.exe, which Avast loads when you enable On-access protection. Have you ever encountered this problem and if so, what can be done about it. I know very little at this point about how to configure Avast, and the help section isn't much help in that regard.
    -----------------------
    Edit: After diabling On-access protection (Oap), and seeing that OE was working again, I re-enabled Oap. . . and OE is still working as it should. So that leads me to another question: Can ashMaiSV.exe crash or become dysfunctional, even though Avast has not itself crashed? If so, what causes it to become dysfunctional?

8. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

I can't pinpoint the exact reason why it was not working and is now
    working (it is working now, right?).

Avast should offer a custom install which gives the option of not
    installing the email scanning.

I'd say leave well enough alone for now. If it causes problems in
    the future, uninstall Avast and then do the custom install. I am
    not personally familiar with the parts of Avast, only from problems
    and cures that I read about. You want the anti-virus protecting the
    rest of the computer - just no email scanning.

9. DKTaber

DKTaber

Thanks for the advice; I'll try that if it rears its ugly head again.

I (just a minute ago) also submitted a ticket to Avast's tech support. Their KB had some articles about it, but blamed it on having McAfee installed, or talked about the "Mail Protection Wizard", which ver. 4.8 (the latest) doesn't have. If I get a believable answer from them, I'll post it here so others will have access to it.

10. umiwangu

umiwangu Thread Starter

Hi Don, thanks for hi-jacking my thread. :) Just kidding.

I use Avast quite a bit, but I always disable most of Avast's shields. Just double-click on the Avast system tray icon and then click on the More Detail button. There you can disable the Internet Mail Scanner (used for pop3 accounts) or Outlook scanner. It doesn't do you much good anyway.

11. DKTaber

DKTaber

Thanks. Didn't know that was available, because never bothered to click "Details". BTW, there was no "Outlook scanner" listed. I don't use Outlook (use OE), so I guess if you're not using it, it doesn't show on the menu. Yes?

12. umiwangu

umiwangu Thread Starter

I just checked and it's actually called Outlook/Exchange and it shows up on every computer I install on. Maybe it was removed in the latest version or maybe you did a custom install.

You can also disable the IM and P2P shields. I actually disable all of them except for the Standard shield, but ymmv.

13. DKTaber

DKTaber

I have the latest version (4.8). Only items listed are Network, P2P, Standard, Web and Internet Mail shields. I have terminated IM and P2P. I'm not on a network per se, but do have Comcast broadband, which is a network, so I figured I should keep the Network, Standard, and Web shields. . . although I'm not sure why I would need both the Network AND Web shields. Guess I need to read more about what each does, but so far, I haven't been able to find good explanations of anything in Help.

14. umiwangu

umiwangu Thread Starter

That's the same version I have, but mine always shows Outlook/Exchange. Oh well. At least it seems to be working now.

I'm guessing Network is some kind of firewall and Web checks for phishing sites and malicious downloads, maybe.

15. DKTaber

DKTaber

I wonder if Outlook/Exchange doesn't show on mine is because Avast checks to see what your default e-mail client is, and if it is NOT Outlook (and mine isn't), it doesn't have that as an option.

If the Network item is some kind of firewall, then I have 2 firewalls running (Network and Windows). Not good; should only have one. I did notice that Windows Security says, "At least one of firewalls installed on this computer is on.", and has the warning below that about having more than one active. I recently tried COMODO's firewall, but uninstalled it, and thought Windows was just detecting some entries in the Registry that the uninstall didn't remove. I'm going to terminate Network and see if that message changes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice