1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express opens AOL Instant Messenger

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BearMom, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

We have the internet through our cable co. With them, we can have up to 5 mailboxes in our account. We kept the Outlook Express mailbox that we had through the dial-up provider. When we got cable, my husband wanted a mailbox so we set it up.

The problem: Everytime he opens Outlook Express into his mailbox, the little window to sign on the AOL Instant Messenger opens also. What a pain! We have never had this problem before. I am sure there is some little magic connection doing this.

Does anyone know how to disconnect these two programs????

It's not a matter of "x-ing" it out because once open, it notifies our daughter's friends and then their IM messages to her pop up over the middle of his email typing.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Open the Instant Messenger, right click its icon in the system tray and choose Preferences. Under Sign On/Off uncheck "Make AIM My Default Instant Messenger".

3. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

Thanks, brendandonhu, that seems to have fixed it!

(what exactly is that mouse hitting??? I live too far away from Ann Arbor to see :))

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice