Outlook Express preventing access to e-mail attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kellyclamp

System Windows XP Home Edition

I recently installed Windows SP 2----noted some files associated with e-mail attachments had lost their associated programs---then removed Windows SP 2.

Now frequently get message that " OE removed access to unsafe attachments
in your mail. However, I can see attachment if I click the "Forward" button.

What can I do to resolve this "overactivity" on the part of OE?

Norton antivirus scans incoming e-mail----but does not give any warning that the e-mail attachment in question is unsafe in any respect.

Would appreciate any help you can give.

Kellyclamp

Any attachment could potentially be a virus ....

(unless its less than four bytes i spose
- dunno how many the copy command is
)

If you are unable to open any attachments in Outlook Express

Start the program
Go to Tools / Options
Click on the Security tab
Uncheck Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus

But again, be careful because this will allow all attachments to be opened. Since this is the main way viruses are typically spread, you should also have a good anti-virus program installed.

Bob Cerelli said:
If you are unable to open any attachments in Outlook Express

Start the program
Go to Tools / Options
Click on the Security tab
Uncheck Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus

But again, be careful because this will allow all attachments to be opened. Since this is the main way viruses are typically spread, you should also have a good anti-virus program installed.
Thanks for all the replys to my question. Now I know what to do if this becomes a ongoing problem for me, I think I'm going to leave it checked. It is checked now.

It is a great annoyance as OE6 sets that as the default when you install it.

Your are welcome.

And if it didn't people would likely complain about the lack of default security with Outlook Express.

The problem with Outlook Express is this then allow you to open all attachments. With things like Word, PDF, Excel or other data types of attachments, there isn't too much risk and a decent anti-virus program will scan these.

The problem comes into play when the attachments are programs that can run when clicked on ( e.g. .exe, .bat, .com, .scr, .pif, .vbs). This is where most viruses get spread.

Personally I prefer Outlook since can strip out any attachment that will run automatically and still allow you to receive data files. Much more secure that way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online