1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook express problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by anais4uk, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

I have 2 computers one running windows 98SE and one running windows xp. The problem is earlier today I retrieved my email from outlook express whilst I was using the computer running xp. Later when I went to my main computer running windows 98 SE I found that when I opened outlook express the email that I had retrieved earlier on the other computer was not there. Does anyone know why this has happened? Both computers have outlook express 6 on them.

Kind regards Anais

2. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Hey there the problem maybe that Outlook Express is a pop3 client and the emails that you check are downloaded onto the computer and are stored there, and no longer stored on the initial server, so you download the emails to your PC and store them on your computer untill you delete them, which means you cant get the email from another computer because you have already downloaded it, and it can only be downloaded once. so forward it back to yourself again, and check it on the old computer, not the new one. :D

3. kath100

kath100

Try this,
    In outlook go to TOOLS/ACCOUNTS/MAIL/PROPERTIES/ADVANCED then tick the box "leave a copy of messages on server"
    You should then be able to access the mail from both computers
    Give it a try and let us know

4. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, you are right in saying that it is a pop3 server. I just thought that I could access my emails from any computer without a problem. I will go and send the emails to myself again like you suggested. Why didnt I think of that....lol

Thanks for your advice

Anais

5. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

Hi Kath100 Also took your advice I will let you know how I got on.

Thank you and kind regards Anais

6. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

Kath100 I carried out your instructions and now I am recieving 2 copies of each email.....is this because I changed the settings on both computers?

7. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

Nope its not that because I changed the settings to just my master computer and I am still recieiving a double copy of emails on my master computer but only one copy on my second computer.

Any ideas?

8. kath100

kath100

Are you sure the second one is not the one you sent to yourself (sleek luxury advice). I cannot try this myself as I only have one computer. It seems you 3 emails now in place of one :).
    We have sort of got a solution but created another problem.
    Anyone else help?
    Thanks and kind regards

9. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

Right this is what is happening: On my master computer I retrieve my email not just the ones I sent to myself from the 2nd computer but any mail I recieve and I am now recieving 2 copies instead of one. But when I retrieve email on my 2nd computer I recieve only one copy.

Anybody got any ideas please.

TIA

10. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

I switched to Outlook just Yesterday, because its compatible with AVG, i think Outlook is a good thing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice