1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hedley, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hedley

hedley Thread Starter

Hi, I use oe and have noticed that lately when I open it 99% of the time it will open with an error and has to be closed and reopened to get my mail. Is there something specific that would cause this. Also, can I save explicit folders in oe to disc - i.e. I have a lot of IT emails every day from different outlets and would like to save each outlet in their own folders on a disc to keep for future reference. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi hedley

If your Inbox is full, move messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.
    Keep the Inbox empty or you risk losing messages if Outlook Express is unable to open that folder.

While viewing the empty Inbox folder:
    File > Folder > Compact
    this will reclaim the wasted space left behind from deleting and moving messages inside the Inbox.

Copy the .dbx files and use this program to show you the messages inside the .dbx files:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html

Let us know if emptying the Inbox folder helps.

3. hedley

hedley Thread Starter

Hi, thankyou for your reply. Sorry not to have replied before now. I have tidied up my inbox and indexed folders, downloaded and installed dbxviewer. Can I now save the selected messages straight to cd/dvd for keeping, is that them saved in .eml form or is there something else to be done. Thanks

4. hedley

hedley Thread Starter

Hi, still having difficulty with saving these folders. Looking at the properties of the folders after I have saved them in my docs it just says open with outlook express or gives an option to browse but I don't know which programme to open them in. It does not show the format of the messages. Are the messages already transferred to .eml extension after downloading them or do I have to do something else to change them. Clearing my inbox seems to have got down a good bit on an error message when opening oe, but not completely. Thanks for the help.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi hedley,
    Open the OEViewer you downloaded and click on File>Open. In the window that opens, browse to the folder where you copied the messages to.
    Use the Files of type menu at the bottom to look for "All Files". That should make them show in the window whether they are dbx or eml. Double click the file you want to view and if it's an eml, the message will open. If it's a dbx, a list of messages will show and you can double click the one you want to view.
    As for saving them, just burn the entire folder to CD. I would recommend burning a copy and checking to be sure it worked before getting rid of the original. I'm not sure, but I think you can view them on the CD with OEViewer.
    T. :)

6. hedley

hedley Thread Starter

Hi, When I click on an email in oeviewer it comes up with an attachment at the bottom and the option to save the attachment. I have saved the emails on to a cd-rw as dbx files and they seem to open ok from the cd. Will see how it goes from here. Thanks for all the help.:)

7. EAFiedler

Is the error gone now?

8. hedley

hedley Thread Starter

Hi, Yes, the number of times the fault happened certainly seems to have come, but not altogether gone. Thanks.

9. EAFiedler

How often does it occur now?

Shut down all programs, start Outlook Express and compact all folders in Outlook Express:
    File > Folder > Compact All Folders

Walk away from the computer until the process is finished. After it has finished, close Outlook Express, reboot the computer, then restart Outlook Express.

Let us know what happens.

10. hedley

hedley Thread Starter

Hi, have compacted the folders but the fault still happens every day the first time I open oe and occasionally after that in the same session on the computer. I have compacted them for 3 days running but the fault still remains. Thanks for the help.

11. EAFiedler

Apologies for the lateness of my reply.

Is the error still continuing?
    If so, can you provide the details on the error message?

Completely empty the Inbox, move messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.
    Do the same for the Sent Items folder, empty it.

Then Compact All Folders again.
    Close and restart Outlook Express to see if the error message occurs.

Let us know if that makes a difference or if the problem has sorted itself out.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice