1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by howard.a.s, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

In the event that I receive several emails and want to move them into a named folder for safe keeping, instead of having to right-click on each one individually in order to 'move to' the desired folder, is there a way that I can move a whole block in one go, like I would when I copy and paste? I have tried to highlight a whole block of emails that sit in my inbox, in an attempt to move them, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Yes, it works identical to marking files in Windows Explorer or
    other programs. If you can move a single email, you should be
    able to highlight and drag the entire "block" of emails to another
    folder, unless one of them is corrupted. Or you can right-click to
    move them. Do you get some kind of error message when you
    try? Post that here, if you do.

Are you highlighting them all? Edit->select all (CTRL+A)
    Or only select ones? (CTRL+ mouse click)
    Or A block? SHIFT+ mouse click at beginning and at end)

3. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

If I go to my inbox and have a list of messages, but only want to move let's say the last three, I cannot highlight them using my mouse. If I drag the mouse over the messages whilst holding down the lefthand button, as would normally be the case when copying and pasting, nothing happens - the messages are not highlighted and the copy/paste function is not enabled.

The only way that looks like it may work (and I admit that I had never tried this method until you just prompted me) is to use the edit drop-down list situated in the upper task bar. If I 'select all', the messages become highlighted as one entire block and the 'copy to' function appears to be highlighted. However, this does not allow me to 'cherry pick' a smaller block of messages, only the entire lot.

Are there any other ways to select a lesser amount. Let's say 10 out of 30?

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Not sure about the details of what you are saying. Did you simply omit
    typing that you are holding the CTRL key down while left-clicking the mouse and
    moving the mouse? Or you aren't holding the CTRL key down while doing that?

Carefully re-read my first post if you are simply left-clicking the mouse.

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

In a nutshell, using your example.

Left-click the first message in the block of messages you want to move. Now, hold down the Shift key and left-click the last message in the block you want to move. All messages from the first to the last should now be highlighted. Drag them to the folder you want them in (using the left mouse button).

To cherry-pick: Click once on the first message you want to select. Hold the control key and left-click on each message you want to select for every subsequent message. If you click without holding down the control key, all other messages will be deselected.

Once all the messages you want to move are highlighted, drag one of them to the folder you want the messages in--all selected messages will move.

This is VistaRookie's comments (the long way).

Courtney

6. mstrubinger

mstrubinger

You might try highlighting (control > left click) the email you wish to move to a folder.
    Go to File > Move > list of folder selections will appear > choose the one you want >close.

Another way: Highlight selected email > hold down left mouse button > move block to appropriate folder > drop.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice