1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express "Send" error

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by colette101, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colette101

colette101 Thread Starter

I get this message while out of town on my laptop:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.west.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.west.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I am able to receive, just not send. Any suggestions?

2. Sponsor

3. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

Some ISP's do not open Port 25. Have you inquired with Cox to see if they support OE?

4. Kirok

Kirok

Could be the issue, but in the meantime try turning on SMTP Authentication.

Heres a generic how-to:

From the menu, select Tools, then Accounts. Click once on the appropriate account from the Mail tab. Select Properties. From the account properties dialog box, choose the Servers tab. Put a check in the box for "My server requires authentication". Click on the "Settings" button. In the 'Outgoing Mail Server' dialog box, make sure "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected. Press "OK". Back at the "Properties", click "Apply", then "OK". Click "OK" to close out of all dialog boxes.

If I'm right that should fix it, if not then I suspect the ISP has blocked access to the SMTP server from anything other than its own connection. Were you using your Cox connect at the time?

5. colette101

colette101 Thread Starter

Hello little helper elves - I tried the instructions but to no avail. I am out of town and so no, it is not a Cox connect. ATT wireless.

Here is the last error after making your change:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.west.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.west.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

I will call Cox when I get home from my trip. If I am going to be on eternal hold, I would rather wait and get comfortable at my desk ;)

Thanks again for your help. Even though this particular problem is still unsolved, I think this is a great source for us computer dinks.

6. Kirok

Kirok

My guess will be access it is blocked because its not a cox connection, its a dodgy practice some ISP use if they have spam issues. should work fine when you get home.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice