1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express "To Free Up Disc Space"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Landy, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Landy

Landy Thread Starter

Several times a day I get a message "Outlook Express. To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes" which is preceeded by 10 minutes of my PC being very slow. I have 50% disc space free (37GB out of 74). I run Windows 97. I have defragmented my disc several times. I have used RegCure regularly and it has made no difference. At other times, I try to start Outlook Express and a message comes up saying it is already running, followed a little while later by the above error message. Any ideas, please?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Let it compact, then it should not ask again for some time.

3. Landy

Landy Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave - I should have mentioned that I've done that and it shuts it up for about a week and then it's back again!:)

4. vik1066

vik1066

I have a same problem like this but don't get a perfect solution yet.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, it will come back when it needs to be compacted again

Do a Google on "compacting outlook express" and you will find all kinds if information about this.

6. Landy

Landy Thread Starter

Two days ago I completely cleared out my Sent and Deleted Folders (I normally keep the previous six months) - which, incidentally, freed up 2 GBs - and then Compacted All Folders. Since then I have not had the problem. This may have fixed it, but why, after running for years with no problems, did the messages suddenly start to appear. I will put another post in a couple of weeks time, or earlier if something happens.:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice