1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express...trouble sending/receiving emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by thejakebox, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thejakebox

thejakebox Thread Starter

Hey guys. I've been having some trouble sending/receiving emails with Outlook Express (or any other email client), and would appreciate some ideas/advice on what I could do to fix things. Basically, what's happening is that aside from a hotmail account I have, Outlook Express refuses to send/receive any emails. For example, with Yahoo, even though I'm a member of Yahoo delivers and have put in the correct POP3/SMTP info, it continually asks for my password (which I've already entered when adding Yahoo as a mail account to OE)...and then eventually gives me the following error message:

Therewas a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

It doesn't only do this with Yahoo, either...it does it with any other email provider I've tried that works with POP3/SMTP access. Except for hotmail, of course. I've even downloaded Eudora to see if it will work with that, and it does the same thing. This leads me to believe that there's something going on with my computer in regards to this emailing stuff that needs changing.

Anyone have any ideas? Any advice/info/help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I have Outlook Express 6, the latest version of IE, and obviously Windows XP...as well as a wireless highspeed connection (shaw.ca)...hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, guys! Looking forward to hearing from you...

Regards,
    Jake B.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

<Your Password was rejected> you may have problem with caps lock/num lock

3. thejakebox

Thanks for the thought, but I can assure you it was typed in correctly...

Thanks,
    J.

4. dugq

dugq

you could try telnetting to see where the problem is

Go to start-run and type "telnet" then press enter

noe type

open pop.mail.yahoo.com 110

and presse enter then when connected type

user "your username"

then press enter and type

pass "your password"

That should give you some info to where the problem lies, though if you are desperate to read your mail, use the "list" command to see what you have and "retr" to read e.g "retr 1" to read your first message.

5. thejakebox

Hey, thanks for the input. I tried what you said, and it basically said that the problem was logging in...and to visit the website of the email provider (eg. mail.yahoo.com)...that's usually what it says in the error messages I get when I try to send/receive email from any account other than hotmail.

So, there you have it. I hope to figure it out soon! Thanks again for your thoughts.

J.

6. sekirt

sekirt

Just a couple of guesses.

It appears that you are in Canada?

Could it be that Yahoo! is looking for:

pop.mail.yahoo.ca

and for SMTP...it probably has to be smtp.shaw.ca? or some variation. You may not be able to send through Yahoo! smtp.

sekirt

7. thejakebox

Thanks for the tips. I tried that, too, and still no go. Weird, huh? Sooner or later I've got to find out what's up...

Thanks again, good idea...

Have a good one!
    J.

8. sekirt

sekirt

Did this start recently? Did you ever have email that worked (other than Hotmail)? Did you install or uninstall any software around the time it started? Did you contact Shaw?

sekirt

9. thejakebox

Yeah, I used to have email that worked fine...I had been using Yahoo, actually. I had used Yahoo POPs (in case you haven't heard of it, it's freeware that enables you to use any email client with your Yahoo email account) for a little while...but got rid of it a few months ago when they stopped charging for POP3/SMTP access. I've tried downloading it (Yahoo POPS) again, but even that doesn't work anymore. I'm trying to remember, it might have been around the time I got rid of Yahoo POPs initially that things might have started going wrong...

To answer your other question, I never contacted Shaw...it never occured to me that it might be a Shaw problem. The Shaw internet service here at the house is actually under my roommate's name...we just use a router/wireless setup so I can tap into the service, too.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you some idea. Thanks again for your thoughts...

J.

10. sekirt

sekirt

Are the other computers receiving/sending emails without a problem?

If so, then compare all your settings to the other(s). You may have overlooked just 1 simple item.

While I have never used Yahoo Pops, I am familiar with it. Don't think uninstalling it would cause a problem - unless some shared file got deleted?

sekirt

11. thejakebox

Yeah, the other computer sends/receives emails without a hitch. I tried what you suggested, and changed my settings to his...but, still, no go. I don't think any shared files got deleted, in regards to Yahoo POPs, either...

Thanks, though, for your thoughts - I appreciate your help. I'll get this thing figured out one way or the other!

Cheers,
    J.

12. sekirt

sekirt

Type your error number 0x800CCC90 into Google.
    Then separately type the other error number 0x800CCC92.
    You will get quite a few hits - hopefully something that will fix it.

sekirt

13. thejakebox

Thanks again for your thoughts. I actually wan't able to find anything that way that fixed the problem, but that was a great idea. The good news is I got things working, just with some tinkering of my own. I downloaded Yahoo POPs again, put in localhost as my POP3 setting, and shawmail as my SMTP setting...works great now. Not sure why it doesn't work with pop.mail.yahoo.ca (or that it's given me trouble with other email services), but with Yahoo POPs it's all good...so, all's well that ends well. Thanks again for your thoughts! Have a great week.

Regards,
    J.

14. sekirt

sekirt

Glad you fixed it.
    (y)

sekirt

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice