Outlook Express wont let me receive mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AJD2

Hi

I have not been able to receive any emails via OE v5. When I click the send/receive button, the dialog box appears to show progress of the download appears, but gets stuck at about 50% of the way across whilst the message 'Receiving list of messages from server' is displayed. Eventually it times out and I cant get past this point. I can send messages ok. The only thing I have done recently is to create a number of additional folders in order to sort my emails more effectively. The inbox has about 200 emails which I have put into the appropriate folder.

I dont know whether this is connected or not but I have not been able to access my hotmail account either.

I have pinged successfully, so the problem is not connection-related, and i can otherwise surf the net ok.... so if anyone can suggest something i can try I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers!!
Andy:D

Max19

Account Disabled
Which account is it hanging on when checking e-mail? Someone may have sent you an incredibly large attachment, and you may need to have your ISP delete it in order to use your e-mail account again.

AJD2

Thanks Max for your reply... bizarrly i've just done a send and receive to send a couple of mails and having sent the mails suddenly i received 12 emails!! none of them had large attachments so i am none the wiser about what was causing the earlier problems.

Anyway I am a happy bunny now that it is sorted out.

-A-:D

Sounds like your mailserver was out of commission for a while.
Happens to me real often.... hope thats all it was anyway.

Savvy

AJD2

Cheers Savvy, most probably right. Its fine now anyway so I must panic again in future!!

Happy Trails

-A-

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online