1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Won't Receive Emails - but Sends Emails with good Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rherrygers, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rherrygers

rherrygers Thread Starter

My Sent Items and Inbox folders became filled with emails on Tuesday and I was unable to send or receive emails until I removed several thousand old emails from both folders (which I did, then the system was running fine again as of late Tuesday). I discovered this problem when I attempted to send 3 emails with attachments, making the emails around 5 megabytes each in size (I did not realize that the recipient's system could not handle any email more than 2 megabytes - thus, my Outlook Express kept trying to send these emails every 1 minute for 3 hours until I discovered the problem). I had to delete around 100 email notifications that the recipient could not receive emails at that size and that my email boxes were full.

I corrected these problems and relocated the emails from my Outlook Box to Drafts (until the recipient can change his settings).

All day Wednesday (yesterday) I was able to send & receive emails without a problem. This morning I was sending & recieving as well, then all of a sudden, I was unable to receive any emails. When Outlook attempts to receive, I briefly see a box with the number of emails attempting to be received, then I get an Unknown Error message. I am able to send emails without any problem and my Internet connection has been stable all day.

I've rebooted, turned on & off Outlook. I even disconnected my Internet connection, then reconnected it. I've checked my Outlook settings and they are fine. I also turned off my Firewall - just in case that was it.

Any suggestions?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi rherrygers

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Have you attempted to logon to your ISP's mail server to see what messages are still on the mail server along with determining the size of the messages?
    Outlook Express may be timing out trying to download a message that is larger than normal.
    Did you also send yourself a copy of the message with the attachment?

Can you post the exact error message please?
    If the Send/Receive window is not appearing, you can make it appear by double clicking the area marked in red here:
    When the Send/Receive window appears, click the Errors tab, right click on the error message and select Copy and paste the error message here.

[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice