1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by LynnTerri, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LynnTerri

LynnTerri Thread Starter

For about two weeks I am finding random old and deleted mail included with new and current mail in my inbox. I have emptied the trash, and don't know where to go from there?

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Lynn and welcome to TSG.

Are the old and deleted mails that show up marked as unread (like they were just downloaded)?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you opted to keep a copy of the mail on the server? If so, they will come back every time you get your mail until they are deleted from the server.

4. LynnTerri

LynnTerri Thread Starter

These show up mixed into the list and the ONLY way I recognize them - now with a little practice is by their date. I have not deliberately saved to server and this is new but will check that out. More help anyone? was hoping this was something only I had not experienced. Thanks

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

It certainly sounds like they are re-downloading if they are marked as unread and indistinguishable from new mail.

In OE, click Tools>Accounts.
    On the Internet Accounts box that opens, click on the Mail tab.
    Select your account from the list (You likely only have one) and click the Properties button located on the right.
    In the Properties box, click the Advanced tab.
    In the Delivery section do one of two things.
    1: Either uncheck "Leave a copy of messages on the server"
    OR
    2: Place a check in the next two boxes.
    Set a time limit for how long to leave messages (5-7 days should be good).
    Either way, click OK to close all the boxes.

I would recommend the second option.
    If you ever have a catastrophic message loss in OE, you can still retrieve the messages stored on the server if you do it within the time frame you set.
    With the first option, once they are downloaded, they are gone if you need them. But you will not have to worry about old messages being re-downloaded.

With the second option, you could still get old messages but it may straighten itself out in a couple days. If not, post back and I'll walk you through regenerating the file that keeps track of what has and has not been previously downloaded.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice