1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Ginny K., Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ginny K.

Ginny K. Thread Starter

Help!! For the past five days I have been getting anywhere from 20 to 40 messages each day from "MS Program Security, MS Public Assistance, Microsfot Inet Message, Postmaster @ impact, Internet Security Center, Microsoft Corporation Technical Svcs., MSNet Mail Delivery, etc. They all pertain to attachments that have possible viruses and have either been cleaned or quarantined. Some are addressed to "Internet User" and some "Commercial User" at my E-Mail Address. Since I am covered by McAfee and have checked my updates, I am VERY puzzled as to why I am getting these messages. I have contacted Road Runner (my server) with NO Help, Dell Computers with NO help and spent too much time trying to figure out all the stuff on the Microsoft web site. Hindsight being what it is, I should have gone to you first knowing how well you have helped me in the past.
    Thanks!
    Ginny K.

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I am not sure if you are talking about mails that it is claimed you have sent - or mails addressed to you.

If there is mail actually leaving your computer with your address then you are probably talking some bugs on your machine.

If it is incoming - keep in mind that another infected computer who has you in it's address book can acquire your address and send you things. Some bugs can falsify the senders address as well/

McAfee may cover your incoming mail but your provider(s) may and can quarantine mail/attachments prior to delivery to you.

My questions:
    Is this referring to incoming or outgoing mail?
    Are you receiving the legit mail but without attachments?
    Is there any connection between any of these mails and legit mail that you know you sent or know you should be receiving?

Look at some of these messages and throw us a few more tidbits of info.

- Castleheart

3. mobo

mobo

Don't open them , infact highlight it in the inbox then click on message then block sender.

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

MB is quite correct. :eek: I was talking in terms of mails that you already have received and viewed. And you surely should not open attachments.

When I asked about correlations of mails - I was referring to:

Were any received from folks or addresses that you know and mail that you should be getting?

Were any of the quarantined mails that it is claimed you sent - mails that you know you sent? and to addresses you send to.

correlations of that sort.... gleaned from the properties of those mails - not content .... trying to ascertain what these messages you are receiving are referring to.

I should have been a bit more specific :(

- C

5. Ginny K.

Ginny K. Thread Starter

These are all incoming messages. This morning there are 70 of them.

6. KeithKman

KeithKman

Do this:

Open OutLook Express -> Select the E-mail(s) you want to block -> Messages (at the top by File) -> Block Sender...

See if that helps.

7. Elektra

Elektra

They are all self-executing viruses. You have already been infected if you opened any one of them. You should do a virus scan and visit Symantec's site Symantec's site to see whether there are any fixes available. If the virus has crippled your anti-virus program as MS Blaster did to anyone it infected you can use Symantec's online virus scanner to get past the virus.

I'm afraid I do not agree with the advice you have been given concerning adding the sender to your blocked senders list because:
    1) to do so means you would have to open the message,
    2) the from address is always false so it would do nothing.

You are far better off using a program like Mailwasher Pro to check your mail with because that will identify all viruses and spam before you download your mail so you can delete them from your ISP's server and then get only the mail you want in your Outlook Express. Once you start using it you will wonder how you ever survived without it!

8. sekirt

sekirt

9. mobo

mobo

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice