1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by harrycrocket, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harrycrocket

harrycrocket Thread Starter

Outlook Express is installed on my computer, but I can`t find it. It`s not in my startup and it`s not on my task bar and the icon is gone from my desk top. I dunno when this happened cause I use Mozilla, but I do use it some times. I could download it again, but i`m on dial-up and that takes a long time. Anybody know how I can get my icon back? Thanks.

2. BillC

BillC

If you go to Start > Run > and type in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express hit search, you should find it.

3. harrycrocket

Yup. I know where it is. Just can`t get to it. Thanks.

4. sekirt

sekirt

When posting, always state your OS and version numbers along with names of programs involved in your problem.

For instance....do you have IE/OE 6? SP1?

sekirt

5. harrycrocket

Sorry. I`m learnin. Should have known that. I am running Windows 98 SE. I do have IE & OE 6.

6. sekirt

sekirt

If you go to Microsoft / downloads and reinstall IE/OE6 it may fix your problem. It won't take long if you already have it on your computer. Not everything will be downloaded only what MS thinks is missing. Hopefully that will put the icons back.

Or you could try repair. Click Start--->Run. Type: msinfo32
    When System Information comes up, click Tools--->choose Internet Explorer Repair Tool. Again, not sure this fixes icons.

Or if you would rather try to make a shortcut....right click on an empty spot on the desktop. Choose NEW--->shortcut. Here is the path:
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE"
    You can then drag it into the taskbar. If files are missing, this won't work and you will have to reinstall or repair.

sekirt

7. harrycrocket

Tried all that. Nothing worked. Not even the new shortcut. Said can`t find the file, but it is there. How bout if I uninstall IE and then reinstall it? This is crazy. Thanks for your time.

8. sekirt

sekirt

Restart to MS-DOS.
    Type: C:\>scanreg /restore
    Hit Enter. Choose a registry date from before you had the problem. See if that will make things work.

If that does not work, unless someone else has a better idea, your idea to uninstall and reinstall is as good as any.
    sekirt

9. harrycrocket

Said bad command. I`ll uninstall and reinstall. Ghost in the machine. THANK YOU!

10. Deke40

Deke40

Rename the MSIMN.EXE file to oldMSIMN.EXE then use the SFC in Run and follow the image to extract the MSIMN

11. Deke40

Deke40

Rename the MSIMN.EXE file to oldMSIMN.EXE then use the SFC in Run and follow the image to extract the MSIMN.EXE and see if the new one will work.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. harrycrocket

Thanks, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and now it`s fine. Thanks for your time.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice