1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CosmosGirl, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CosmosGirl

CosmosGirl Thread Starter

Howdy. After deleting Incredimail, I reverted back to my Outlook express. For reasons I do not understand, it quit working. Used it for about a week and then it simply quit. I cannot access Outlook in any form. The program will not open up. I have Win XP. Outlook Express came with my computer so I am assuming it is a fairly new version. I checked out microsoft support...5starsupport...not sure I follow...or am capable of following the instructions...I have to first learn how to back up my registry...then make changes to the registry. Not sure if I am confident in myself to competently follow thru...Anyone like to tackle this? Input always appreciated. :rolleyes:

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi CosmosGirl

Enable: Hidden files and folders:
    For Windows XP:
    Open My Computer,
    Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
    under Hidden Files and Folders,
    verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
    uncheck Hide Extensions for known file types
    Apply, OK, to save and close.

Start > Search > For Files or Folders
    All Files and Folders
    key in:
    .dbx
    Look in: Local Drives
    click the arrow for More Advanced Options
    place a checkmark in:
    Search System Folders
    Search hidden files and folders
    Search subfolders

Click Search
    Locate the Folders.dbx file and rename it Folders.old

Attempt to open Outlook Express, if it opens the Folders.dbx file will be recreated.

Let us know what happens.

3. CosmosGirl

howdy. thank you for the quick reply. I just checked out my Outlook after being gone for two days and it opened up...without having to do any of the instructions above. However, a new issue with it. When I open it up, after I have already connected to the net, it disconnects from the internet as Outlook Express is opening and then asks me if I would like to connect. It also opens up a different way--a smaller window-- to connect than my regular "smart dialer" thru PeoplePc. the window was made I believe thru the Internet Connection Wizard quite sometime ago...and it always pops up on my desktop but I don't use it...I use the PeoplePc Smart Dialer that comes up via clicking on their icon. I tried the other connection method once and it seems it wanted me to download PeoplePc software, as if I was setting up an account with them...so, I dont access the net that way. Anyhow, again, this "other" internet connection always pops up after opening Outlook and asking me if I want to go online. The other issue is none of the servers are recognized...but perhaps that will be resolved with the first issue. Any suggestions? thanks very much in advance...

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

In Outlook Express,
    Tools > Options > Connection tab

Remove any checkmarks there.

Apply, OK to save and close.

Tools > Accounts > (account name) > Properties > Connection tab,

If there, remove the checkmark for Always connect to this account using:

Apply, OK to save and close.

Let us know if that makes a difference or not.

5. CosmosGirl

Yes, thank you. I followed the last reply and I do not get disconnected. Next issue is that it says my "pop3" server cannot be found. My one account thru Outlook is PeoplePc (default). Incoming server is Pop 3, outgoing is smtp...Suggestions, please.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Can you post the exact error message please?

7. CosmosGirl

The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'PeoplePC', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

8. dr20

dr20

Another poster with a similar error was able to fix it by doing a repair of IE.

If you have IE 5.5 go to the Start button > Run and copy and paste the command below exactly as you see it:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
    Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

If the browser is IE 6 the command would be:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
    Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Check your account settings for Outlook Express.
    Tools > Accounts > Your Account > Properties > Server tab
    Verify your POP3 and SMTP accounts are correct.

Still on the Server tab,
    Does your Outgoing Mail Server require Authentication?
    If so, place a checkmark in My Server requires authentication
    Click on the Settings button and verify or complete the information required.
    OK, Apply, OK, to save and close.

If the above does not work...

What Anti-Virus program are you using?
    Do you have e-mail scanning enabled?

Is your Firewall configured to allow Outlook Express access to the Internet?

Let us know.

10. CosmosGirl

Checked my ports--25 incoming, 110 outgoing...i don't know if my server requires authentication or not but I marked it anyhow, ...checked "use same settings as my incoming",applied, but it made no difference. so i changed settings back to what they were. I am running Norton. Put Norton disk in...did a program scan...it said Outlook's configuration was allowed...checked my Windows security center.(my windows firewall)..added Outlook...it wasn't included in my allowed programs but I still get the same error message. I copied and pasted the above in my "Run"...and this is the error message I get: "error loading setupwbv.dll. Specified module could not be found." Thanks for your help and patience. I do appreciate it.... :)

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

12. dugq

dugq

Have you changed the POP3 server setting yet, the error message you had above indcates that they are wrong, should be mail.peoplepc.com

13. CosmosGirl

What I ended up doing was contacting PeoplePc, re-downloading their software again, and that took care of the problem. My Outlook is sending/receiving fine...hope it sticks...y'all take care, now...

14. CosmosGirl

For EAFielder...this is CosmosGirl...here it is a few days later and was hoping my Outlook Express was cured after downloading PeoplePc software again. Was able to send-receive successfully until last night. I get the same error message as before.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0Ee, until last night.

So I reviewed the suggestions from my previous post, and your suggestion was change "folders.dbx" to "folders.old", which I did, opened Outlook, but continued to get the error message above. Should I change the folder name back to .dbx (for if I am suppose to, I now cannot locate it...I tried)...I am going to review the other suggestions but will try to wait for reply from you before attempting anything else at this point.

15. sekirt

sekirt

Folders.DBX files should be OK.

Check EAFiedler's post #11 - refer to that article and see if turning off Norton helps. Or just temporarily disable Norton entirely and see if that helps.

sekirt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice