Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

I'm embarrassed to ask, but to email via Outlook Express, doesn't a person need an email program like Hotmail, or whatever? Or is Outlook Express self-contained for sending and receiveing email? Thanks, grandpaw7

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi grandpaw7

Yes Outlook Express is an e-mail program. :)

Just fill in your e-mail account details and send yourself a test message to see it in action.
Tools > Accounts > Mail > Add

Let us know if you need further assistance.

grandpaw7

Thanks E.A. When I have OE running and click on Tool>Accounts>Mail, I now have Hotmail, though of course I could have any number of other email programs in the account. But what if I didn't have any email program there? Is OE a self-contained program that can send and receive without having an email program listed in Accounts>Mail?

grandpaw7

Put another way, if I did not have hotmail, or any other email program except OE, I have the impression that OE could not operate, that is, that it uses what I call a self-contained program. That's what I am wondering about.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Just to clarify,
Outlook Express is an email program.
Hotmail is an account that is accessible using Outlook Express.
Hotmail uses the HTTP protocol.

If Hotmail was not available, you can use Outlook Express with an email account that supports POP access.
AOL users can download their messages into Outlook Express by setting up their AOL account details in Outlook Express using the IMAP protocol.

You need an email account to Send/Receive messages in Outlook Express.
Hotmail fills that requirement when you signup for a Hotmail account.

It is the same with Outlook, Thunderbird, Netscape, Incredimail etc. They need email account information to be able to Send/Receive messages.
Is there a program you are thinking about that appears to bypass that need?

grandpaw7

No, I'm not looking for a program that bypasses that need. It's just that I've had a couple of people who were thinking that OE did bypass that need, that is, that OE had the same capability as, say, Hotmail, to send and recive. Thanks again, grandpaw

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online