1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tom.stevenson, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom.stevenson

tom.stevenson Thread Starter

I have 24 folders in OE, including the usual Inbox, Sent, Deleted, Drafts etc. I have the emails ordered so that the oldest is at the top, the newest at the bottom and whenever I click on a folder, it opens with the newest one highlighted. That is how I like it to operate, but recently, whenever I click on Sent and Drafts, it is the oldest email that is highlighted, and I have to click on the message window, press CTRL + End, then click on the last email to highlight it, and it's starting to annoy me. This does not happen in the Inbox or any of the other folders, just Sent and Drafts. Can anyone help please?

2. tom.stevenson

If nobody knows, could someone kindly suggest where else I might have a better chance of receiving a answer to this question?

3. Augie65

Augie65

When you open the folder, you should have a field across the top with To, Subject, Sent etc as a heading. If you click on the Sent button, it will toggle from ascending to descending.

4. tom.stevenson

But the highlighted email is still the oldest email whether they are in ascending or descending, and it only happens in the Draft and Sent folders. It's so frustrating.

5. Augie65

Augie65

The only other item I can think of is to check and see if you have a second sort rule.
    In the Sent folder, click on View> Current View> Customize Current View.
    Click on Sort button, and make sure that Sent is selected under Sort items by and (none) is selected in the box under:
    Then by.

6. tom.stevenson

Thanks Augie65, it worked in a roundabout sort of way. I think the View menu you describe must be Outlook, rather than OE6, and what I did should not have made any difference at all, but I got it fixed in the end. I shall report below the precise process for the Tech Support Guy archives, just in case some other poor unfortunate person has the same problem.

Under View there is a choice between Current View and Sort By, and under Current View there is no Sort option, but by choosing Define Views (rather than Customize), I reached a dialogue box with 4 view options, with the correct one (Show All Messages) already ticked. By clicking Apply View without altering the setting, and accepting to apply the selected view to The currently selected folder (rather than All of my folders), the two misbehaving folders are back to their usual default view (i.e., ascending with the latest message highlighted).

7. Augie65

Augie65

Sorry, you are right. I have Outlook and didn't notice that you were using OE. I sometimes read faster than my mind can comprehend.:eek:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice