1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to uninstall MS Outlook Express, then re-install. I am experiencing a strange problem with OE. I cannot view newsgroups, nor can I read my e-mail - well sometimes I can!!!!

Usually when I first boot my machine I can read my mail. Every time I load OE and select newsgroups, it says I do not have a llist and I have to download ALL the groups again. This happens whichever newsgroup provider I select i.e. my ISP/Microsoft etc...

Any advice.....

2. MelissaV

MelissaV

Outlook Express is a component installed with Internet Explorer and components of Internet Explorer can be re-installed. (I am not sure which version of Windows you are using, but I have done this with Windows 2000 and Internet Explorer 6. Not sure if the options are the same with Windows 95 or 98, so be cautious.) Try going to Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and look for Internet Explorer. Click on Internet Explorer and select Remove. This should prompt a dialogue box with a few choices. I believe the choices are Remove, Add components, or Re-install. Although it will re-install Internet Explorer, there will be a component selection box where you can choose Outlook Express. Or, you could just upgrade your Internet Explorer version whcih will upgrade your version of Outlook Express.

3. theMusicMan

Hi Melissa

I am using Windows XP and IE 6, can't find what you pointed out though?

JOhn

4. theMusicMan

Melissa

If I select Add/Remove Windows Components I find IE. SHould I uncheck this then OK? then re-install?

J

5. MelissaV

MelissaV

I am actually using Windows XP with IE 6, and I cannot figure out how to do it with this version of Windows. I tried the Add/Remove Windows Components, but it only removes Internet Explorer and not components like Outlook Express. The only other way that I would know how to do it with XP is to download IE 6 from the Internet and install it again. That will re-install IE and Outlook Express.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice