1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ambystoma, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

Xp--outlook express outgoing emails are sent but remain in the outbox and do not go to sent items box.

Have tried deleting Outbox.dbx and rebooting to no avail. Have emptied outbox and sent items box then deleting Outbox.dbx--no help. If outgoing messages are not manually removed from outbox they are sent over and over.

I have worked around the problem by creating my own "sent items" file. Every outgoing email, when sent, then gets clicked and dragged into the sent items file and the message is then immediately deleated from the outbox. But this is a major pain in the butt and not the way this should work. I know others have had the same problem, but so far I cannot seem to find anyone who has solved it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ambystoma

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi ambystoma

Your Main Identity in Outlook Express may be corrupted, try creating a new Identity in Outlook Express.

Create a new Identity in Outlook Express:
    File > Identities > Add New Identity
    Name the Identity
    Click Yes when asked if you want to switch to the new Identity.
    Cancel out of Importing or Upgrading if the option is given.
    Recreate your E-mail account.

Send a message addressed to yourself to test the new Identity.​

Let us know if that works for you or not.
    If it does, the messages from the old Identity can be Imported into the new Identity and the new Identity can be set as the default Identity.

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It sounds like your Sent Items folder is full.
    Simply moving messages does not reduce the size of the DBX file.
    After emptying the Sent Items folder, did you delete (or compact) the Sent Items.dbx?

T. :)

4. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

I recommend that you DO NOT use Outlook Express at all. The program is obsolete and Microsoft has stopped developing it. The best alternative from Microsoft would be the FREE Windows Live Mail for XP. Just a heads up. :)

5. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Have created second identity with mixed success - it will send mail but not receive, while first identity does the opposite. I believe POP/SMTP settings are correct. I also seem to have an issue with the server not accepting the default password (2nd identity), though I can cancel out and do everything but "send/receive." What else might I be doing wrong?

6. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

7. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

Xp--outlook express outgoing emails are sent but remain in the outbox and do not go to sent items box.

Have tried deleting Outbox.dbx and rebooting to no avail. Have emptied outbox and sent items box then deleting Outbox.dbx--no help. If outgoing messages are not manually removed from outbox they are sent over and over.

I have worked around the problem by creating my own "sent items" file. Every outgoing email, when sent, then gets clicked and dragged into the sent items file and the message is then immediately deleated from the outbox. But this is a major pain in the butt and not the way this should work. I know others have had the same problem, but so far I cannot seem to find anyone who has solved it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ambystoma

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi Ambystoma,

Have you deleted the Sent Items.dbx from the Message Store folder?

9. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Let's backtrack a moment.
    While using the second Identity in Outlook Express, please post the exact error message(s) you are receiving while attempting a Send/Receive.

11. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

I think I may have solved the problem. It has to do with my password which I changed about three years ago and completely forgot about it. Once that bridge was crossed, the new email seems to be working ok. I'll give it a day or so to make sure and then let you know. Thanks for your help.

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Everything working as it should, now? :)

13. ambystoma

ambystoma Thread Starter

Yes, everything seems to be working properly.

14. SGI

SGI

outlook express outgoing emails are sent but remain in the outbox and do not go to sent items box.Also unable to delete mails from Inbox folder & Deleted item folder.Kindly help me to sort out this problem.

15. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi SGI and welcome to TSG.

Create a couple of New folders in OE.
    Important: Move all messages you wish to keep from the Sent Items and Inbox into the New folders.

Open the OE Message Store folder and, with OE closed, delete the following files.

Inbox.dbx
    Sent Items.dbx
    Outbox.dbx
    Deleted Items.dbx

New files will be generated when you next open OE.

Let us know if that helps.

T :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice