1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook file association

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by draceplace, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draceplace

draceplace Thread Starter

In Outlook 2003 (running XP pro on a network) on one computer (other computers not a problem) I can not open a .bmp from outlook. I get 'application not found' error.

I can save it to a folder and it opens with Picture and Fax Viewer. The folder options/file types have no associations for bmp. This setting is not changeable by the user. As admin it works fine. Why is this association not working for any regular user who logs onto this pc?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Um. Why would you open a bmp file with Outlook?

3. draceplace

Its actually an attachment to an email. My bad...

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    OMG!! No, I should'a thunk it. Lemme check.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Not sure WHY it's not working, but I would just associate the file.

6. draceplace

The lowly 'user' is not allowed to change this setting and the admins settings apparently aren't inherited in this case. I'm running an 'office 2003 repair' right now. We'll see what happens. This is really strange.
    An admin had created a new 'default user' profile that wasn't used on this machine. I replaced the default user, deleted old profile, retried the user...same problem

7. draceplace

Office Repair did not resolve the issue......aaaarg

8. draceplace

I can get around the user issue by having them go to a bmp file in file explorer, right click, select 'open with' (even if you see the desired program in the drop down) then select the desired application, CHECK the 'alway use this' box. Now they can always open bmp from outlook.

This is clunky and not a resolution. Being the great sys admin that I am :) I would like a fix that blankets any user that logs on...I'm think its a Registry issue??? Any ideas anyone?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice