1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook FREAKIN OUT!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lilwags68, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Hi all...any help would be sooo gratefully appreciated.

I am running WinXP on a Dell Laptop. I have been using Office XP for about 6ms with no problems. This weekend, for some reason, my Outlook client just stop functioning properly. When I launch the app, I can mouse around wherever, no problem. But when I try to type, the keyboard seems to have some kind of delay. It doesn't register the keystroke unless I hold the key down for about 2-3 secs. I first applied SP3. No good. Then un-installed Outlook, Office, the whole thing...re-installed, applied SP3. Still no go. Uninstalled just Outlook. All other applications are functioning properly.

HELP!!!! :rolleyes:

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you run Detect and repair from the help menu of Outlook?
    That's the FIRST thing to try...

3. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

No, I didn't.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL! Let us know.
    Hey...if it's any consolation, it doesn't always work.
    But there are more steps to take if it doesn't. :)

5. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Well, let me ask you this....I currently have deleted all entries in registry, all signs of Outlook, or OSA whatever I could find. I got a little frustrated...hee hee.

So I need to reinstall Outlook. Next question is though, how do I patch Outlook up to the SP3 level like all other office apps, do I need to uninstall all of Office again?

6. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Will the Detect and Repair still help in this quasi newly installed situation?

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, lilwags68. Don't worry. I'm always here, or it seems. If I'm gone, it's usually just for a few minutes. I'm making dinner!! LOL. One must eat. :)

So, if it were me, and I do not have Office 2003 here, but I DID have it installed (trial) for quite some time...anyway, if it were me:

--install Outlook

--run the SP3 update. It should only update what's needed, or it'll run the entire update again, and who cares?

NO, you should NOT need to reinstall all of Office again.

8. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Did I not say this? It's actually Office XP, but last time I did the Outlook un-install and re-install, I tried to run the SP3 update and it cancelled saying it had already been installed. :(

Making dinner over here too...:)

9. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Well, still stuck. Re-installed, ran Detect and Repair...if I have Word as editor, there's no keyboard input at all, no matter how long I how the key down. If I take Word out, it's back to the having to hold it down to get any input at all. :( :( :(

10. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Update - Word no longer recognizes keystrokes. It's getting worse...:(

11. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

For anyone else having this problem - here's the fix that worked for me....

In the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
    on\Run there is an entry "Wandows Sturtup" and is a swchost.exe file. Delete this entry in your registry and reboot. All problems gone!

12. BananaMan

BananaMan

Sounds like some spyware. Have you tried running something like Ad-Aware on your system?

13. lilwags68

lilwags68 Thread Starter

Yep, as well as cwshedder. Neither of them found it. VERY INTERESTING!

Anyway, just wanted to share. Seems like a relatively new thing, many people in other forums were screaming about the same problem.

Thanks for all your help!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice