1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook has 2 Personal Folders ??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TERM, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TERM

TERM Thread Starter

I just installed MS Outlook 2003 on one of my offices users and I imported a second .pst file because some emails went through before I copied the old Outlook.pst file in.

Now here is the problem;

There is currently 2 'personal folders' and when a new email comes in, it goes to both 'personal folders'. Also, when the user clicks on "new" and then clicks on the "to" button to access his address books, he is prompted with an error that one of the contacts list does not exist, to remove the folder. Then he clicked on "OK" to exit the error and the contact list was there.

I would like to know how to remove the second 'personal folders'. Im guessing this is causing the errors (correct me if im wrong), but I cannot find anywhere to remove that folder. Please any help would be highly appreciated.

Second, less important problem;

When I re-install windows and office. I have to keep their old .pst files. Is there a way I can just put the old .pst into the proper place and their accounts will be already activated and the mail will be there. Or do I need to re-add the account. Im kinda confused on if I need to import the .pst or if a simple pasting of the original .pst is good enough.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Right-click the personal folder and choose Close?

3. TERM

TERM Thread Starter

The "close" option is greyed out. I believe both personal folders are the same thing, if that makes a difference or not.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Then here's what I would do...

Close Outlook.
    Find and MOVE the pst file to another location.
    Open Outlook. Let it create a new PST. Import all the items from the old PST into the new one.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've seen this a lot with a corrupted profile. Can you just delete the current one and create a new one. Just use the same data file.

6. TERM

TERM Thread Starter

Bob, im not sure I know what you mean? Do you mean just delete the current email account and then re-add it? If so, I did try this with no luck.

I have tried moving the PST file elsewhere, and Outlook would not open without it. I tried the fixes that Outlook Help offered, and those also did not work.

I tried selecting another Data File, and it doesn't change anything. This is a strange problem im having....

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I mean create an entirely new Outlook Profile. This is different than deleting the e-mail account and adding it back in again to the current profile.

8. TERM

TERM Thread Starter

We have set email naming conventions and use MDaemon to create the accounts.

Can you please explain how to create a completely new Outlook profile? The only way I can think of is to uninstall office, delete the .PST file, reinstall office and start from scratch that way.

Is that what you mean? If not, can you please give a little more explanation.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it very much.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Uninstalling Outlook will not create a new profile.

Control Panel
    Mail icon
    Show Profiles button
    Remove Button
    Then create a new profile like you needed to do the first time.

10. gavinb

gavinb

To my knowledge, you don't have to remove a pst file, as you stated, you can't. Simply close the pst from within Outlook. Make sure the folder is not opened (in other words, the Outlook items are not displayed in the contents window). Right-click on the Folder name, then choose Close from the shortcut menu. If you are sure the pst file is not longer needed, then delete the file from within Windows Explorer or My Computer window. This should work, but let me know if it doesn't.

11. gavinb

gavinb

On the second part of your question, make sure the pst is copied before the hard drive is cleaned. If the pst is stored on a network, and you are using an Exchange server, you don't have to do anything. If on the hard drive, copy the file somewhere safe and after Outlook is installed, open the pst file, File, Open, Outlook Data File, navigate to the file, and click OK.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice