1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook installs with no calendar, no contacts

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jsolid, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsolid

jsolid Thread Starter

i installed XP office. everything else is fine, but outlook just gives me a drive directory. for example, if i try to make a new appointment, i get 'could not open item'. any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Outlook defaults ot this when no mail provider is given or the wizard is cancelled. Open up your control panel put it on classic view and then go into mail to setup your e-mail account.

3. jsolid

jsolid Thread Starter

i have an email account and a data file configured. still getting error messages and cant access anything. (for example, there are no outlook shortcut icons)

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

when you installed office did you do a complete or custom?

no outlook icon leads me to believe it wasn't selected as part of the install.

5. jsolid

jsolid Thread Starter

to clarfiy: there are shortcuts to outlook on the desktop. when i am USING outlook, the shortcut menu on the left has no icons (for the calendar, address book, etc)

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

Try the Outlook command Help>Detect and Repair

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Okay try this then. In the shortcut menu click on Outlook shortcuts and then in there see if the shortcut menu displays all the Inbox and everything? It could be you clicked on one of the other menu types thus hiding the outlook shortcut icons?

8. jsolid

jsolid Thread Starter

Outlook is not functional.
    i cannot open my old .pst file. i cannot open a new appointment (or anything else). the error message i usually get is the useless 'cannot open the item'. there is no trace of the PIM part of Outlook. this is what i use to sync/backup my pda.

here are the fixes i have tried, and the results.
    Outlook 'detect and repair'
    - email icon appears
    reinstall Outlook from CD
    - nothing fixed

background:
    this computer came with a 60-day trial of XP Office. i installed my copy, then uninstalled the trial. since then, i reinstalled Office.

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

A couple of points.

You do not just "open" a .pst file. There is no program associated with a .pst file, not even Outlook. Even though Outlook is the most likely user and creator of .pst files. In order to use a .pst file you have to "point" Outlook to it. That means you have to import the .pst file into Outlook. Perhaps that is what you mean, when you said you can't "open my old .pst file" but that is not how I would have said it. Sorry if I did not get your meaning.

Second thing,
    It is possible that you have jimmied up your Office installation by the steps you said you tried, if you stated them in the order you actually did them. If you indeed did this:
    "(this computer came with a 60-day trial of XP Office.) i installed my copy, then uninstalled the trial. since then, i reinstalled Office."

You do not have to uninstall the Trial software after, or even before, installing your purchased Office (it was a valid version, wasn't it? :) ). When having the free Trial software there you just install over it. The files go into the same place. If you later want to remove the words "60 day Free Trial" from the icons in your Start menu, you can either rename them, or if you have a duplicate set of icons, but without the words of the Free Trial, somewhere in your Start menu, you can just delete those Trial icons. The icons (selections) in your Start menu are only just shortcuts to the actual programs. Deleting those icons (selections) will not harm, or even remove, the associated programs.

To possibly get it all back in proper order now, you might try and remove all installations of any of the Office versions you have. (Don't worry, your existing files that you have created with Office will remain.) Then re-install your valid version of Office, again.

Once you get that working again, then set up your Outlook one more time. I would expect that (if you are setting up the email account properly) that Outlook will then work. At least, I would hope so ;).

Once that is working, you should try to import your old .pst file.
    Note: I have, after setting up a new PC, with a new install of Office, with Outlook set up at well, but I had not done any emailing yet, I have successfully just replaced the then newly created .pst file, with my old .pst file (after appropriately renaming the one for the other) and when then opening Outlook. All my old email, my contacts, and my calendar was back in exactly the same place as before. That was easier, and faster, than importing the rather massive .pst file.

I hope that helps.

10. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

I have found that this is not neccessarily true, even if the versions of the trial and regular versions are the same. I have seen multiple Dell Optiplex PCs that come with a trial version, and when users tried to install their full version it will put BOTH in the Installed Programs list. To fix it, I uninstalled both versions, restarted and installed the full version. That worked for me anyway.

11. ChuckE

ChuckE

According to Microsoft, at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/trial/convert.mspx or
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/pctrial/convert.mspx

You can simply can just enter a product key to Activate the already installed software. They say "there is no need to uninstall and reinstall the product software"

I am sure that some people will do the wrong thing, make the wrong selections and get Office loaded twice. I can't explain people who don't want to look before leaping.

As for me, I was able to install right over someone's installed - but timed out and deactivated - Trial software. Things were very messed up with that PC. I know what worked for me. But Microsoft does actually have an activation path.

12. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Another thing I've noticed is that what Microsoft says and what actually happens can be two different things. :)

I agree that it should work to install over, I'm just speaking from my personal experience that it isn't always the case, and the more aware we all are, the better.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice