1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook IP Address Leak

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Spectre360, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spectre360

Spectre360 Thread Starter

Hello, after completing a Email IP Leak test it came back that my email was leaking 'my' IP Address (I'm using a VPN).
    Is there anyway to stop this from happening; I'm using Outlook and a third party email domain?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Spectre360, and welcome to TSG.

There is no guarantee that I'll have a solution, but it might help us to help you if you told us ...

1) Exactly what version of Windows you are running

2) What version of MS-Outlook you are using.

3) Assuming you did the test at http://emailipleak.com/, exactly how did you run the test? If you initially connected to the site with your web browser going through the VPN, the test will report that you have a leak if Outlook is also going through the same VPN.

3. Spectre360

Spectre360 Thread Starter

Hi Cwwozniak,
    Thank you for your quick reply, here's the information:

1/Windows 10 Pro
    2/Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
    3/ Yes, I was in fact using the same VPN for both. Could this be the issue?

Also, is there anyway to prevent Outlook from sending out your IP Address (sorry if this is a stupid question)?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Based on your answer to #3, it would appear that your VPN is hiding your real IP address because the leak test did fail.

Sending an email involves two-way communications between the email software on your computer (Outlook) and the third party's outgoing email server. The server has to know the IP address of your computer to return information that the email was received by the server. When using a VPN service, the mail server sees the mail as coming from the IP address of the VPN server, not the actual public IP address of your originating computer.

The only thing that the leak test indicates is if the outgoing mail server is including the IP address of originating computer in the email headers. That is under the control of the administrators of the mail server. The user has no control over that. If you don't want the IP address of your VPN service to be in the headers, you will need to find an email service that does not include the source IP address in the header.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice