1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Junk Mail Filter Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Rich-M, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

I am putting this here because I feel I will get more response than in Email and Web Forum.

I have an a client whose Outlook Junk Mail Filter stopped working. A year ago when this happened we called a tech he knew in Fla who gave us a simple solution like open a folder and delete something and it then worked perfectly. Unfortunately we can't find him and neither of us remember what we did.

I have downloaded and installed all Outlook 2003 updates and junk mail filters. I installed the Outlook Spy bar so we can see the Junk mail Filter in the Inbox and delete it and let it be replaced but it isn't there to delete.

We have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook and no change.
    Recently when Avg Internet Security became corrupted, he had to reinstall the program and in doing so he installed the whole thing which includes a spam filter. I have read that Outlook suggests no other spam filter should be used so I uninstalled Avg and then reinstalled without the spam filter and still no chnage.
    Anyone know the one step move that will reactivate the junk mail filter or any other ideas.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Rich-M

Sorry, I don't know the one step fix, my suggestion involves several steps. :)

The .pst file may be corrupted.
    Create a new Personal Folders (.pst) file and make it the default delivery location. A Junk Mail folder will be created in the new Personal Folders, once it has been set as the new delivery location.

Method 3: Change your default delivery to another personal folders (.pst) file
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289949/en-us

Drag the folders of the original Personal Folders into the new Personal Folders.
    You will need to open the Special folders, select all messages, right click and drag the messages to the destination folder, release and select: Move or Copy

Close the original Personal Folders once the contents have been removed.

If for some reason, the Junk Mail folder does not appear in the new Personal Folders, I would suggest creating a new profile in Outlook 2003.
    How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003

The original Personal Folders (.pst) file can then be opened in the new profile and the contents copied over to the new Personal Folders.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

4. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Well I thought that would work again but no such luck. Use of the "Outlook Spy" showed the junk mail rule isn't even there in the Inbox. This all started after SP3 install incidentally.
    Immediately after.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Did you create a new .pst file or a new profile?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

I can't create a new pst file, this is a business and there is about 10 gb email storage.
    My next step is to do all Windows updates including software updates which I am sure were not done. Then remove SP3 and if no change then do a new profile.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice