1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook location

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by joshzz, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshzz

joshzz Thread Starter

My hard drive crashed last week and we're hoping to retrieve our outlook express (the program that comes with standard Windows XP) email addresses, incoming and sent messages.

We're hoping to get the data from the drive from a service that retrieves data from bad drives. Where can we find this information on the drive? File names? Thanks!

Also if you could recommend a company that recovers hard drive data I would also appreciate that.

Josh

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will cost you up to $1000's of dollars. All because you had no backups. Another hard drive would have cost less than $100.

If you are going to be paying that much anyway, you should have them try to get as many files as possible, all that they can recover. Then, you search for the .dbx files that contain the OE mail.

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

The original drive locations are as follows.

Messages (DBX files): C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express (username being the login name and GUID being a long string of random characters).
    Note: Each OE Identity will be under a separate GUID.

Address Book: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    There will be a username.wab (that's the Address Book) and a username.wab~ (an Address Book backup file).

If you can recover those items, it's fairly simple to get them restored to OE.

4. raybro

raybro

This may be worth a try. I've used it a couple of times with varying degrees of success.

Assuming you have a way to connect the defective HDD to your computer (external enclosure, secondary master slot in a desktop), Place the HDD inside a sealed plastic bag (i.e. ziplok), place it in the freezer overnight or for at least 3 hours.

Have everything ready just in case it works, you may not have much time if it does. Remove the HDD from the plastic bag and install it such you can access it from a working computer. Open My computer and see if the drive is present. If so go to the place indicated by throoper in post #3, drag a drop the files somewhere on your primary master HDD. the desktop would be a convenient temporary place.

Good Luck

5. joshzz

joshzz Thread Starter

I believe we will be able to successfully grab the email addresses.

It cost us around $ 700 to get all the data back from Gillware. We will bakc-up everything now but we were pleased it did not cost a fortune.

THANKS AGAIN! Josh

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice