1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook losing passwords

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by notleon, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notleon

notleon Thread Starter

When Outlook (XP edition) does an auto Send and Recieve it loses the password. You get an error box which allows you to re-enter you password, click the "Save Password" tick box and when you select "OK" everything works fine again. I have to re-enter the passwords for both the ISP logon and the authentication. I check the box to save the password but the next time I load outlook the passwords are gone.

2. surffnutt3000

surffnutt3000

The same thing started happening to me a few days ago. Whether or not the outgoing server password shows as saved or not, it still prompts for it every time I want to send a message (wasn't the case before).

In addition, anytime Outlook searches for new incoming emails, it asks for that password. (It's my business email - different servers for incoming and outgoing). Again, in the past, email simply downloaded (without additional password request) whenever it was available.

Is anyone aware of any issues in the last week or so with McAfee and Microsoft updates? (Those are the only two things I have downloaded automatically.)

3. notleon

notleon Thread Starter

What I do when I load OUTLOOK is go into TOOLS and then EMAIL ACCOUNTS. I do a CHANGE to the email account and that allows me to enter the PASSWORD that is missing even though I checked REMEMBER PASSWORD. I also have to click on MORE SETTINGS and then OUTGOING SERVER to set that PASSWORD. I can do a TEST EMAIL and it works fine and will continue to work OK until the next time I load OUTLOOK.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

No problems here running Vista and Outlook 2007. Could be an XP update, or, as was hypothesized, a McAfee update.

5. notleon

notleon Thread Starter

I failed to mention that I am running Outlook 02.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice