Outlook & Mail Merge?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

case649

I'm trying to find an efficient way to send out batches of form e-mails at work. I'm doing it manually now, which is very time-consuming and tedious and prone to mistakes.

I basically want to do a mail merge, but instead of using Word to output form letters or envelopes to a printer, I want the output to be e-mails sent from Outlook. Each mail will need to go to a different e-mail address, and I need to be able to insert customized bits of information like name and department, which I already have stored in spreadsheets, into the body of the message.

Does anyone know of a good way to do this? I've read about a way to do it using Word & Outlook, but I heard that has some kind of huge limitation? (Send To: isn't a location you can place custom data?) I've also found numerous software packages just by Googling for "Outlook mail merge", but I don't know which ones are good.

Any advice appreciated!

Actually, I have Word 2003 and you can do a Mail Merge to an Email from Word using your Outlook contacts. Just tried it, seems pretty slick.

case649

OK, I'm actually trying it with Word 2000. (My workstation is all 2000 software.)

It seems to work fine up to a point. When everything is set up and I click "Merge".... nothing happens. I go back to the unmerged form letter and no new windows open in either Word or Outlook.

IT puts some pretty strict restrictions as far as software installation and such on our work machines. Firefox can't even install auto-updates. Could this be what's preventing me from seeing anything?

Thanks!

Maybe... I know a default 2000 install tended to leave things out "until used". It's possible that a plug-in/wizard might not be installed completely. Or that you're restricted from creating a temp file where O2K wants to. Might bring your IT into the mix if they'd be willing to work with you.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you check your sent items? It's been a long time since I've done a merge to email, but if I remember correctly, when you click merge it just sends them ... it doesn't bring up a draft email for you to look at or anything.

case649

It was my system that was holding me back. I switched to my co-worker's workstation which is on XP with Office 2002, and it worked like a charm! The mails got out and I didn't have to spend hours manually editing them!

One more thing has come up however: Is there a way to address a single mail to a couple of different recipients? Two e-mail addresses in one cell doesn't seem to work; Word tries to read it as a single address and gives an error.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online