1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Mailing-List / Distribution List

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DCreature, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCreature

DCreature Thread Starter

Hi, I need some help from you guys to clarify some issues in Outlook 2003.
    I have added some contacts, catagorised them, eg. Colleagues, Friends, Family. Now that I want to send e-mails to all my colleagues.

I opened the "New Message to Contact" then clicked on the "To" button and waited to see the list of my contacts show up, however, it shows a dialog box saying:

"The address list could not be displayed :mad: (not including the smiley ofcourse). The contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted... blah blah blah"

Knowing that nothing is deleted or damaged, I ignored it, and tried to create distribution list, gave it a name and clicked on "Select Members" then the same messsage box appears (as above). :rolleyes:

I've been told that it uses contacts in the "Address Book" of Windows (to my knowledge, when you back up Outlook 2003 .pst files, these entried aren't backup too) and I would liek to keep my contacts in one place, in the .pst that is, so does this mean, to have distribution list (mailing list) to mass mail to my colleagues, I must use Windows's Address Book ? This has also been an issue with my clients who use Outlook.

How does all these contacts thingy work ? I would like to get my head around it, gimme a hand guys ;)

2. Rockn

Rockn

You need to set up Outlook to use your Contacts as an address book. Go to Tols > Options and click the Mail Setup tab and select the Mail Options button. Select the radio button for View or Change Existing directories or Address books. Click next and see if there is an entry for Outlook Address book and if it isn't there add it. If it is there it may be corrupted thus your message so delete it and recreate it. Once it is in there open your contacts folder and in the Outlook bar on the left right click on the contact item and select properties. select the Outlook Address Book tab and put a check in "Show this Folder as an Address Book" Should work after that.

3. DCreature

DCreature Thread Starter

OK, that stuff worked :) BUT, there are still something that's not quite right, when I go to "Add New Distribution List", then clicked on "Select Members" button, which pops me a little dialog box where it will give me the same error message like the first time, so I clicked on drop-down-arrow for combobox that is under "Show Names from the:" there are 5 entries here (used to be 4 before I did what you told me to do).

If I select "Outlook Address Book" it will show a message in the little field below saying "No entries in this address book", and if I select the other ones (the rest are listed as "Contacts" yes, all of 'em), 3 of them will give me that same message I told you in the first post, except the last one which will work fine. Now, its a real pain .......... to have these pops up all the time and I do not like working in something that is broken :) just like us all.

Is there a fix for this? What other settings I missed out on removing or changing that could fix / cause this? Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266957