1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook: Multiple Personal Folders

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by willardpigeon, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willardpigeon

willardpigeon Thread Starter

It seems that, in backing up my Outlook pst files on an external hard disk, I have created and now erased backup files that Outlook keeps looking for. In any case, every time I launch Outlook (2000), I get an error message: the f:\outlook 26 sep 06 backup could not be found, followed by a create/open personal folders menu. I need to click OK for the first and cancel for the second for Outlook to then launch correctly. I've also got three 'extra' 'personal folders' folders in addition to my Outlook Today personal folders. Can someone please provide some guidance about cleaning up this mess, while enabling me to continue backing up my Outlook files on my external drive?
    Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How did you backup your PST file. Usually I just close Outlook and copy it.

You may need to create a new profile and only include the PST file you want.

3. willardpigeon

I use the export file function and say I want to export a pst file. But I wonder whether Outlook is not automatically creating some kind of backup or achive files as well.... I may have caused this problem myself a few months ago when I deleted Outlook and reloaded it and imported the pst files I had saved...

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's why I just copy the specific PST file. And when setting out Outlook again, I just configure it to use a specific PST file. Much faster that all that exporting and importing.

5. clsxmas

clsxmas

I'm still not clear about this. Outlook 2003 gives the user three backup options for a PST file including: replace duplicates with items exported, allow duplicates to be created, or don't export duplicates. Which is the best to use for simply creating a backup of a PST folder?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Those are export and import, not backup, options. Again, I don't use any of those for backups. Like any other data files I want to backup up, I simply copy the data file to my backup drive.

7. willardpigeon

So if you were to make copies of your pst files (contacts, inbox, folders, etc.), that means you could delete Outlook from your programs and reload it and have a virgin version right? But then, how would you bring in those back-up copies without duplicating the (empty) folders that Outlook automatically creates?

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You would have whatever folders were in the PST file you backed up. Outlook wouldn't be creating anything new. Again, that's just a part of why it is so much easier and faster to simply copy and use the existing file as opposed to all that exporting and importing and worrying about how you want to deal with duplicates. There aren't any.

9. clsxmas

clsxmas

Thanks for the info--you answered my questions and changed the way I will copy files in Outlook

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/529385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice