1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook not accepting Gmail emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by robert5378, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robert5378

robert5378 Thread Starter

I use gmail quite a bit. I had it working fine with outlook 2013 until I tried to add another gmail account to outlook. I t opened a microsoft dialog bog that said the following:"Your IMAP server want to alert you to the following:please log via your web browser: https:support.google.com/mail/accounts/answers/78754 (failure). This also lock up all my other gmail accounts.

This web site brings me to a page that says"My client isn't accepting my username and password

If you're repeatedly prompted for your username and password, or if you're getting an 'invalid credentials' or 'web login required' error, make sure your password is correct. Keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive.

If you’re sure your password is correct, you can try these troubleshooting tips:

If you've turned on 2-Step Verification for your account, you might need to enter an App password.
    Sign in to your account from the web version of Gmail at https://mail.google.com. Afterwards try accessing your messages in your mail app again.
    If you're still having problems, visit http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and sign in with your Gmail username and password. If necessary, enter the letters in the distorted picture.
    Your mail app might not support the latest security standards. Learn how to allow less secure apps access to your account.
    Make sure your mail app isn't set to check for new email too frequently. If your mail app checks for new messages more than once every 10 minutes, the app’s access to your account could be blocked.
    Try changing your password according to our tips on creating a strong password"

I have tried all the usernames and passwords on gmail.com and they work. I do not understand why I am getting this dialog box message.I have tired deleting the account from outlook and reentering them again but that does not seem to help..Can anyone help me?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. robert5378

I don't have a problem getting my gmail account on gmail.com. I know all the usernames and passwords to get into the account. My problem is with Microsoft Outlook 2013. This is a recent problem that has come up when I tried to get outlook to accept a new gmail account. I have server gmail accounts that work well in outlook now but I cannot get two to work. One of them is my major account. They both work well with gmail.com but not outlook. I keep getting the message that I descripted above. I really need to get theses working in outlook since I do not like the gmail.com interface. I appreciate your help.

4. robert5378

I have tired removing the accounts from outlook and redoing them. I don't dare remove one of them since I have been using it for years and has all my emails on it. I use imap instead of POP. I am using Windows 7 pro. Thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The answer to this is in the message from Google, it is not about not knowing the username and password, it's about having a secondary password that you probably have to use for Outlook or other email clients.

If you have 2 Step verification enabled then you must do this: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

If you do not have 2 Step verification enabled then you probably need to do this: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Additionally after doing the above you may need to do this to unlock the account for use with other programs: https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

6. robert5378

I took one of the gmail accounts that is not working in outlook and did the two step verification process. Than I deleted the email from outlook and reentered it into outlook using the manual method. (The accounts that are working I use imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com, but the links you sent me use imap.googlemail.com and smtp.googlemail.com. I don't know which is correct, but I followed the directions that were is the links.

I followed everything to the letter and I am till getting the same microsoft dialog box message that I get above. I am really confused. Thank you for tryng to help me. I appreciate you patience.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you get a new app password?

Did you try all three of the links I posted?

8. robert5378

I am a pretty saving computer guy but this has me stumped. I just don't understand the app password and how to use it. I have tried it over and over and tried to do what it says but it just confuses me. Why have I been able to create and use gmail accounts in outlook and now all of a sudden I am having a problem when I have done nothing diffently.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  10. robert5378

I tried removing the two step and it still did not work. I created another gmail account just to see what would happen and I had not problem adding it to outlook. I do not understand why it will not let me add the two gmail accounts one of which I have had form years. If I can't resolve this problem, Can I forward them to another account that is connected to outlook?

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice