1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook not capturing Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ImHelpless1, Sep 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ImHelpless1

ImHelpless1 Thread Starter

Hello -- I've been using Gmail on Outlook for years but something as gone wrong and it no longer works. Now when open outlook I get a box stating "Enter you user name and password for the following server. The server is listed as imap.gmail.com and it asks for my user name which I enter ("[email protected]") and my password. I'm not sure what password it wants (Gmail? Microsoft? Other?) but I've tried them all and I believe I reset both gmail and Microsoft. I'm still locked out! Got any ideas how to fix this? The simpler the better since I'm not too swift on this kind of PC stuff. thanks

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Which outlook are you using?

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If you're using the stand alone client Outlook from one of MS office suites. Then the issue is with Google. Google has deemed Outlook as less secure. Now you have to use Google's "App Password" setup. Follow this and you should be up and running.
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

4. ImHelpless1

Hello bassfisher6522 - Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it! I never did try what you suggested because this morning when I fired up my PC it asked for my Google password and then I had to reset the password. All of sudden everything is working again; my gmail is funneling into Outlook on my PC and HTC mail on my phone as well as Google on both my phone and pc. I'm not sure what made it click but all is good now.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    edit: You responded before I did.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I'm guessing you mean the Mail App that came with windows.

7. ImHelpless1

I'm already pretty confused but I meant Outlook (the one that's part of Office 365)...at least that's what the icon is labled.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Outlook365 can connect to Google Accounts just fine without the App Password. It may have just been an issue with your main password so if you have reset it and now all devices that has your email is working, you should be good to go.

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If that's true...I may move from the hard copy of Office to the subscription service. I just don't like the idea of having to pay for it every year and after 3 years the cost between the two goes up exponentially.

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I go to Account Settings > Add Account > typed in my google account email, then sent me to Google Authenication (I have 2FA on) then it asks me this:

upload_2019-9-16_10-20-13.png

and then it set up in my outlook. No need for going into Google to create an app password.

12. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

You might want to block out you email account.......just for you own protection.

I two have 2 step verification on as well. Which outlook are you using? Outlook.com or Outlook from an Office Suite? I don't use Outlook.com......just Outlook 2016. Every time I want to add an email from Google I have to go through that "App Password" from my Google Account settings. Weird to say the least?

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus.

Older Microsoft Outlook did have to use the app password because they didn't support the modern authentication. Outlook 2016 should be working....

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Not for me.....I have to do that every time.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice