1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{outlook}Not resolving name! can't see server

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by NouRsLy, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NouRsLy

NouRsLy Thread Starter

:confused:

Ok guys who can help me with this weird one.

I had a tech call that someone had already taken a look at it and could not fix but guess what I can't either...

The user is in a LAN enviroment with an Exchange 5.5 server running a Pentium Windows 95 B machine. The client is currently Outlook 98

When the user logs into outlook she cannot open her folder, it says something like "Unable to open default folders... "

When trying to create another profile after deleting them it would not resolve the name any more said somthing like "The name could not be resolved. Network problems are keeping outlook from working properly..."

* I can ping the Exchange server fine throug IP and Netbios (PC Name)
    * The Webmail feature works fine for the user
    * I Downgraded IE5 to original IE4 and then Upgraded to IE5.5
    * I replaced the winsock.dll with original
    * I did upgrade for winsock2
    * I even installed outlook 2000 but gave me same error.
    * I am able to log into the Domain just fine
    * I changed the Exchange client RPC Binding order so that tcp/ip is first and then netbios.

I am STUCK !!! Still getting the same error. ----->

someone suggested to switch to another jack in the room just for the heck of it but its only this computer that is having the problem. Any Ideas?

Should I Upgrade to 98?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

a long shot here....check the default settings

3. Rockn

Rockn

What are you using the Exchange Server for? Internal mail only or are you using it for Internet mail as well. I would make sure the Exchange Server is up and functioning prooperly before worrying about the client. Look at all the services for the Exchange Server and ensure they are all running and started. Make sure your mail server is part of the same domain that is authenticating users because the user accounts are directly tied to the mailboxes you create for users.

4. NouRsLy

NouRsLy Thread Starter

Yes the Exchange server is fine, No problems with it all other 4,000 computers work fine. :D

It is only this computer. and What default settings am I suppose to check... all the profile settings are correct I don't believe its a configuration setting but a corruption somewhere ... I don't know...

I've checked all over the place and some people have had this problem also, one guy resolved it by re-installing tcp/ip since the stack was corrupt. Any other ideas? anyone that knows really good how this functions?

5. Rockn

Rockn

Have you tried deleting the profile on the server and the workstation, deleting the pwl locally also? Sounds like a connectivity problem somewhere, like it gets authenticated and then looses it's network connection. Are you using any login scripts? Static or DHCP IP addresses. I would look on the domain controller for any login or application errors.

6. Raphael

Raphael

Are you able to create an account for someone else on that computer?? Are you able to create an account for that particular person on a different computer?? I agree with Rockn, the problem probably lies with the Exchange server, can you create a new account for that particular person, and try setting it up?

7. NouRsLy

NouRsLy Thread Starter

The thing is that I can't even create my profile in there because I get the same error.

Its the only computer thats doing that.

Like I said... I can ping through netbios fine and even connect to a remote file server using UNC path (netbios). so maybe is not connectivity. Plus I log into the domain just fine (nt4 domain).

My profile works fine on my computer.

The girl says that the other tech was there for a while but he gave up. My job is to get her going but i'm pretty sure it could be done w/out having to put 98se on that dinosour 133 48MB ram.

HHHHHEEEELLLLPPP!! :confused:

Well I got two things in mind to try b4 I go back
    1) Try re-installing tcp/ip
    2) connecting it to another jack for the heck of it.

what do u think?

8. Raphael

Raphael

Before changing the tcp/ip settings, delete the nic card in device manager. See if that helps.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Have you tried a new NIC...raph made me remember the obvious.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice