1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook on a go slow

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ozziebeanie, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi all, I went to increase the size of my .pst file (from Outlook 2007) and went to Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST of which if I remember correctly is where you go, but the PST folder is not there, so I went into the path (below) (as all of a sudden my Outlook has decided to go on a go slow).

C:\Users\Buzzyfly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook – location of .pst file of which is where my PST file is and if I remember correctly, that is where it is usually located, (buzzyfly is my computer name)
    I have emptied the sent items folder and deleted the deleted items folder, I do have some sub folders e.g. A bill folder where I put the email relating to a bill in there when I have paid it, and a school folder, job folder etc,

I was wondering if I should save all the folders then uninstall Outlook and install again, also if there is no pst folder under the hkey path, where do I go to increase the size of space outlook needs, as I am sure I have not reached the max limit, the CURRENT PST related to the outlook profile I have now (have others attached to outlook also) is only 755mb large

It’s been a while since I have had to deal with Office problems can someone point me in the right direction
    I am using -
    Windows 7 Home Premium,
    Outlook 2007
    Service pack 1
    8 gig ram
    Processor - i7
    64 bit OS

Hard drive (Sata notebook type) (all in one machine) – 126 gig used – Capacity – 910 – Free space – 784 Gig
    Outlook 2007 on my notebook using Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, is working fine, the one on the main computer used to work fine till a few days ago

2. namlimxanh

namlimxanh

I also encountered this problem.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

4. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi Dave

Thanks for commenting, I have seen that but as I said in my post, the folder is not there, and pst is not that large, I don’t know if my sub folders are included in the size of my pst file I am assuming it is, I am going to try re-installing Office 2007 after saving all the pst files, and add them as data files, and see if that helps, as I have not got any (WarnFileSize Registry) pop ups, it’s just gone on a go slow taking like a min to download some email that is only a few kb’s everything else on my computer is up to speed including other office applications, and the internet speed is great, sorry took a while to post back I have been away the weekend, will try re-installing tonight when I get home, will let you know how that goes when I have done that.
    Thanks

5. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Had a bit of time before I had to go out, took off Office (the whole program) saved the pst files and other things, forgot to take the pst files out of the outlook file and reloaded Office on and did all the updates, still on a go slow, I should have taken the pst files off my computer all together, will give it another go when I get home and remove the pst files all together and see if that helps

6. DaveBurnett

I would look for corruptions in the files.
    Two things that I do is save any attachments outside Outlook and remove them from the emails.
    I also archive older stuff every 6 months and that keeps the main pst file smaller.
    Also compact it. (that is the outlook compact utility that is deep in the menu structure somewhere - I have to delve).

7. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I may give that a go Dave, the last thing I did was take off Office 2007 completely (all the programs) only outlook was slowing down though, removed the pst files I had there (had older ones there) but removed the current one as well and then deleted the outlook folder.

Blow me down when I reinstalled it, it was re-populated again and I had not put any details, and coming up with notices that there was not pst there, so added it back in, to stop those notices coming up, now it is worse than before, god knows where it got my details from as I had totally, wiped the program from the computer, (including registry entries), will try a few things and report back, thanks for your suggestions

8. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I used revo uninstaller when I uninstalled it, usually its pretty good and gets rid of anything to do with a program first time I have seen a folder still there when finished with it

9. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Am stuck as to what to do, I will try un-installing it again, I can not understand why it re-populated when I copied then deleted the profile before I did it, will try a few things and post back here as to how it went

10. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I am at a loss as to what to try now, I even contacted my provider after re-entering my details and creating another profile and asked him to deleted my profile and create another one (same email different password) although I can not work out why my profile on the server would effect my computer as its the program playing up not the download of emails, so have created a clean profile on computer, also on server, reinstalled program twice, done a repair, so pst file is back to new, so a small file now, any suggestions gratefully excepted, also done a clean boot, pulling my hair out trying to think of anything even if it does not seem to be related.

11. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    ok went to my dads and while there we uninstalled Office 2007 (the whole program - after deleting profile) then deleted office folders then did a clean out to make sure nothing left, anyway I installed it again and created a new profile to start sending and receiving email, it worked fine same as it did before it went on a go slow on me, I had also closed and opened it several times and clicked everywhere and it was still going fine.

Then we added my old pst file as a data file and then it played up, so removed the old pst as a data file and Outlook went fine again. this led me to believe that the pst file was corrupt, so happy that my Outlook was going fine again (my dads isp is bigpond) anyway got home and opened outlook and down loaded email and it seemed to be going ok then all of a sudden it froze up again, so it did not say it was no longer working, just went on the go slow again with that damn circle going around and around (I had NOT added the pst file as a data file) my isp is dodo, the only difference is our isp, so how come it worked fine on his one and not mine? I can not imagine how the difference in internet providers could effect it.

I have a 64 bit OS, Windows 7 Home Premium with service pack 1 and all updates Office is 2007 and 8 gig of ram (ddr3)

Any thoughts?

12. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Anyone got any ideas? thinking of resorting to ringing tech support for Dodo and not understand who is on the other end and seeing if it is something they are doing

13. DaveBurnett

You could try that! I've run out of ideas to try remotely.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most of this will be background information but somewhat important.

The max size for the newer PST file used in 2003 and 2007 is 20GB, the max size for 97-2002 PST file is 2GB. 755MB is below that so there's no point in changing any registry to increase that limit.

You can check which version yours are: http://reliableanswers.com/pc/pst_file_version.asp
    You should be using the newer version not the 97-2002 version.

You can also check to see where the PST that is being used file is actually located through the mail account options either in Outlook itself or through Mail in the Control Panel: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/291636 Make sure you are looking at the right files first.

You can also run SCANPST on the PST file to check for corruption: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/272227

You may also not have a PST if you use Exchange/ActiveSync, those will create OST files.

If you have Exchange/ActiveSync or IMAP then as long as that account exists, or when you add it back, then all the email folders will populate automatically. Uninstalling Outlook never deletes the data files or account; those are considered data and left behind.

How is your email account setup? POP, IMAP, Exchange, etc?

Do you have all the updates for Office 2007 installed? There's a Service Pack 3 and numerous updates that need to be installed.

What security software are you using? Maybe it's email scanning is the culprit.

You keep mentioning "Outlook on the go slow", what is Outlook on the go?

15. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I have checked all that you said some of it before I posted on here, I have reinstalled Outlook 2007 and taken out the pst files before I re-installed, and it still goes on the go slow, meaning I open outlook and 9 times out of ten it freezes up till its done what ever its trying to do (no message or error note) and only way it will reduce to the task bar is if I click on show desktop thingi.
    once its done its thing I can do a few things then it freezes again, and again no message or anything when I check email, now I just click on the thing that reduces everything to the desk top and do other things so checking and answering email is a long process, just lucky I have other things to do while its doing what ever its doing. all other Office 2007 programs are running fine with no delays, and no other programs are doing this either, the hard drive I have on here is nearing 3 years old and thought at first maybe it was the hard drive but then other stuff would be playing up also, I am at a loss as to what it may be, I worked in tech support before and never came across this problem, its a pain in the whatsit

I have also updated office including service pack 3 and its up to date on other updates also, when this first happened it just happened out of the blue and it was up to date then also.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice