Outlook & Outlook Express--Can receive mail but cannot send

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

Using both Outlook and Outlook Express on new HP a1310n system with Windows XP Home, Charter cable internet.

When we originally set up the system two weeks ago, everything was fine; but, just yesterday, we suddenly cannot send mail. Outlook and Outlook Express both indicate successful send and receive; but, no one is receiving our mail Also, when we send mail from ourselves to ourselves, we get a message thet the send was successful but, we do not receive the test mail. We have also checked the mail server through IE and the mail we are sending to ourselves doesn't make it to the server.

Out SMTP and POP settings are correct. I am a tech and I know well what Charter's in and out servers are.

We have uninstalled and deleted the folders for all antivirus, antiadware and antispyware and turned off all firewalls.

Make sure in the account setup, that the box for My server requires authentication is checked and that the Use same settings as my incoming mail radio button is checked.
Try to receive mail before trying to send your email again.
You might try and remove all emails in your Outbox (if any) close Outlook completely and try again.

Just a wild guess and don't know if it will work have you thought about changing the outgoing port from 25. Maybe for some reason 25 is blocked.

You did not mention who your ISP is. I use Earthlink via BrightHouse who requires the SMTP server be set to SMTPAUTH.servername rather that just smtp.servername ; this is required to authenticate a third party. Give it a try.....

Alex Ethridge

The problem has a new twist. Having done all the troubleshooting I cared to do on site, I brought this person's machine to my shop for further work. We both user Charter and as soon as I connected his machine to my Charter cable modem, it sent and received mail without a hitch.

Now, since we both use Charter, why can I send and receive mail from my shop and can only receive and not send when at his house? By the way, he has no router at his location, only a cable modem and a single desktop computer.

This is a new one on me.

bkdc, from initial post:
SMTP and POP settings are correct. I am a tech and I know well what Charter's in and out servers are.
Augie65,
I'll give your suggestion a try when I return the machine tomorrow.

After reading your last post, I would troubleshoot his cable modem. If it works at your location, then I wouldn't believe that the port is the problem.

Alex Ethridge

Another twist: My laptop will send and receive at his address; his desktop will send and receive at my address and will receive only and not send at his own address.

Man, this is becomming a wooly problem.

Alex Ethridge said:
Another twist: My laptop will send and receive at his address; his desktop will send and receive at my address and will receive only and not send at his own address.

Man, this is becomming a wooly problem.
Sounds really crazy :confused: I would be interested in the solution, if you ever find one. Probably some crazy setting embedded deep in the bit bucket :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online